Publisher: Eidos Interactive
Developer: Mucky Foot
Genre: God Space Strategy Sim
Release Date: June 15th 2001
ELSPA Rating: 11+
Startopia takes you to a once thriving galactic network of starships, space stations and planets left lifeless after an apocalyptic war. Your aim is to rebuild the network of space stations reuniting the surviving alien races under one banner.
This simulation gives you the opportunity to rebuild and successfully maintain a series of giant Torus (donuts) space stations that are scattered across the galaxy, providing a suitable home for the many alien races that inhabit space, and perhaps turning a tidy profit for yourself in the process.
Of course, there are plenty of other enterprising individuals out there with the same goals, not to mention the many hazards that exist in deep space. Often stations are being developed by a number of different life forms and organisations, and it will only be a matter of time before you need to confront your opponents. Will you use economic or military means to force out your opponents? You decide…
· Nine primary character races, each with a unique look and function. Each inhabitant is an individual character, with unique moods, desires and personal history and humorous character animations.
· Fully functioning alien society, with racial animosity and friendships, crime and punishment, leisure and entertainment, and functioning economy. Unique Torus (donut) play area gives a unique viewpoint and playable environment.
· 16 habitable subsections spanning three decks in each space station.
· Bio-deck with editable landscape and manageable ecosystem allowing complete control of terra-forming.
· Multiplayer support for up to three other stationmasters.
· Varied levels of play, from simple sandbox to detailed station micromanagement.
· 40 different facilities to build within the station, many with customisable layouts and designs.
· Trade and auction goods and services with other players and alien races.
· Research improvements and develop new technologies.
· Simple and intuitive command of security forces for direct conflict with other players or defence against alien threats.
· Indulge in espionage against your opponents with spies, saboteurs, assassins and mutineers. All new engine, allows dynamically updating reflection mapping, progressive meshing, specular bump and shininess mapping, atmospheric lighting and shadowing, and self shadowing objects.