London, 30th July
Orange has announced the launch of a new games title based on the legendary comic and film, X-men. The game is one of the first licensed properties to be developed through the Orange wirefree gaming division and is available now on the Orange network.
Players are able to enter the world of the X-men through 2 multi-player games on SMS and WAP. Players assume mutant abilities and join the ranks of the X-men where they try to save the world from Magneto's wicked snares. The X-men game is designed to follow the characterisation of the film and comic and is activated by sending the text message 'Xmen' to the short code 751.
Kamar Shah, Games Marketing Manager at Orange, comments, "There has been a near cult following of the comic X-men for the last 30 years. The mobile game is based on both the film and comic with adapted and additional elements tailored for the mobile games player. As the first game to sit on two Orange platforms, it gives our customers an element of diversity in the game playing experience."
With 15 games already available to Orange's WAP users, the X-men game illustrates Orange's expansion as both a developer and publisher across a multi platform portal that will take in WAP, SMS, the Internet and voice media. As mobile technologies continue to evolve towards 3G, the range and quality of games is set to increase.
Orange launched its wirefree? gaming division in January 2001 as part of a large portfolio of life services to be provided to the phone. Mobile gaming will form the cornerstone of Orange's entertainment strategy for 2001 and beyond, giving customers access to the games that they want whenever, wherever and however they choose.
- ENDS -
For further press information: Please call the Orange Media Centre on + 44 7973 201911 or + 44 20 7984 2000
Notes to Editors
- Orange and wirefree are trademarks of Orange.
- Orange provides a broad range of personal communications services, including Orange GSM 1800 services and other digital cellular telephone services.
- In August 2000 Orange plc was acquired by France Telecom, leading to the creation of Europe's second largest mobile operator. The new Orange has operations in 19 countries across Europe and beyond, and aims to have a presence in 50 countries worldwide by 2005.
- As at 9 April 2001, Orange UK had over 11 million customers.
- Orange provides high quality coverage to 99% of the UK population and over 80% of the geographic area. Coverage is based on hand portable, unlike some other operators which choose to base their coverage on boosted car kits.
- Orange UK was the first UK network operator to introduce Enhanced Full Rate in February 1998. EFR provides fixed line call quality across the entire Orange UK network to all customers at no extra charge.
- Orange UK now offers roaming on 246 networks in 111 countries. § Information about Orange can be found on the Orange website at www.orange.co.uk and media information can be found at www.media.orangene