Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. announced today the upcoming Fall 2001 release of the 989 Sports'™ branded Formula One 2001™, exclusively for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. Developed by Studio Liverpool, Formula One 2001 is an authentic racing simulation designed by racing fans for racing fans. Officially licensed by Formula One Administration Limited, Formula One 2001 includes all the race teams, 22 drivers and 17 Grand Prix tracks of the 2001 FIA Formula One World Championship.
To enhance the authenticity, Formula One 2001 allows players to choose between 11 different teams, including Ferrari, McLaren (Mercedes) and Williams (BMW). In addition, players have the opportunity to choose their favorite driver. In addition, Formula One 2001 puts you in the driver's seat by providing the user with each driver's unique attributes that simulate their real-life skills, whether it's being aggressive, smooth, fast in the rain or efficient in managing tire wear and car preservation. Depending on the Grand Prix track selection, players also have the ability to fully customize their car for optimum performance.
"Formula One 2001 features some of the most advanced automotive technology seen anywhere, creating an intoxicating blend of speed, power and exotic good looks," said Ami Blaire, director, product marketing, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. "As the number one motorsport in the world today, we are pleased to bring this intense, sophisticated racing simulation to the PlayStation 2 as a part of the 989 sports brand."
For single players, Formula One 2001 offers Quick Race or Grand Prix modes that cater to both newcomers and experienced racers. In addition, players have a choice of a Single Race, a full Race Weekend or the ability to participate in the entire World Championship. For intense competition between players, there is a 2-Player mode which allows friends to take on each other as well as the virtual true-to-life Formula One drivers. In addition, there is a Time Attack mode for up to 16 players. In this mode, one can instantly compare their lap times to that of up to 16 of their friends by taking turns to record the fastest lap on any of the 17 tracks provided.
Other key features for Formula One 2001 include:
- Incredible, lifelike Driver Artificial Intelligence - based on more than 30 different parameters compiled by F1 professionals; bringing the grid to life and introducing rivalry, aggression, experience and determination.
- Customize the starting grid before each race to one's liking - recreate famous grids from classic F1 races, or improve one's own starting position.
- Fully customizable car setup - the ability to tweak the suspension, change tire compound, add more front wing or change gear ratios and more.
- Four different difficulty levels - choices include, Novice, Amateur, Semi Pro and Pro skill level.
- Real time weather conditions - both wet and dry conditions that adds excitement and a new challenge to one's driving skills.
- Bar raising level of detail: full 17 man pit crews, waving flags and camera flashes in the grandstands, accurate individual driver cockpits and custom photo-realistic textures take Formula One 2001 to a new level.
- Groundbreaking physics and dynamic models deliver one of the most accurate simulations of the most advanced motorsport in the world.
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. continues to redefine the entertainment lifestyle with its PlayStation® and PS one™ game console and the PlayStation® 2 computer entertainment system. The PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system is set to revolutionize the home entertainment market, offering the most compelling interactive content and the capability to be used as a network terminal in the coming broadband era.
Recognized as the undisputed industry leader, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. markets the PS one console and PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and develops, publishes, markets and distributes software for the PS one console and the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system for the North American market. Based in Foster City, Calif., Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.