What further enhances Flat-Out is not only the new level of graphical quality and convincing physics, but the overall interactivity of the world around the player. Player can crash sideways into a safety wall made of tyres, sending dozens and dozens of tyres flying and bouncing away. Wooden fences shatter and splinter into easily hundreds of pieces, barrels and marker cones tumble and fly from the impact, opponent car parts lying on the track inflicting damage to other cars and so forth.
Damage modelling of the cars is impressive, with virtually every bodypanel of the car bending, crumbling and peeling away in accidents showing engine, transmission, working suspension, cockpit with driver and everything you'd expect a car to have beneath it's skin. Cars themselves, being the highlight of the whole show, are meticulously modelled with plenty of detail. Player has 16 cars to choose from, all with different behaviour, driving feel and ability to take (or give) abuse if your dear opponent ahead of you just won't give you room to pass.
Flat-Out will be published for PC, XBox and other game consoles on the second half of 2003.
- First racing game with a 3rd person mode where the character can repair his car, walk around the pit area and interact with other characters.
- Captivating character-driven story bringing new depth to the career mode and driving games.
- Fast-paced and adrenaline filled racing experience. Races consist of 8 banged up and rusty cars battling it out without mercy on varying racetracks.
- Accurate feel in the vehicle dynamics giving enough feel of presence for the most dedicated racing enthusiast with a console.
- Realistic and extensive damage modeling affecting both visuals and vehicle dynamics, separately damaging different parts of the car.
- Cutting edge technology. Optimized for racing games. Game graphics will be of previously unseen realism on Xbox and PC.
- 45 varying and different racecourses, from sandy and hilly courses with plenty of jumps to ice courses on frozen lakes, along with asphalt racetracks and combinations of asphalt/dirt tracks.
- 16 different cheap and rusty banged up car models.
- Garage. Player can buy new parts to his car or purchase entirely new car.
- Multiplayer racing in various game modes utilizing both linked and splitscreen multiplayer modes for single console multiplaying and XBox Live for internet multiplaying
- Advanced AI that makes mistakes and lears from them, developing its skills during the seasons.
More articles about Flat-Out