WARNING: THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE.
To use this, quickly:
- Unpack this tarball.
- Edit mods/BF1942/Settings/ServerSettings.con
- Run the server. It doesn't have to be run as root. However, it DOES need to be run from the directory where it's installed, and it wants write access to that directory.
- Subscribe to the mailing list: to do so, send a blank email to email@example.com ... discussion of server problems will occur there, so it will be in your best interest to subscribe.
- Bug reports go to https://bugzilla.icculus.org/ ... there is a Battlefield 1942 component in the bugtracking system. This is ONLY for bug reports and requests on the Linux version! NOTE: Win32 bugs will be marked "invalid"!
WARNING: THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE. Do not run it on production systems if it's important for it to be stable at this time. We appreciate your patience and well-worded bug reports.
- If you see the message "STUB: Hope this isn't important" and such, disregard them. STUB messages are harmless debugging reminders for the developers and will go away in a later version.
- If you see "(0): Error: : 1Failed to load", disregard it. This is a harmless message, too.
- The "Couldn't open flat archive file "Mods/BF1942/Archives/sound.rfa"" message is safe, too; there's no sound or textures in the dedicated-only version.
- Likewise, there's a lot of scripting warnings about missing sound/video functionality. Ignore them.
- In fact, ignore anything written to your screen. :)
This version will refuse to run after about 30 days. There will be a new version well before that. The final non-beta version will not expire, and can be found right HERE when it is available.
More articles about Battlefield 1942