Technology Behind "Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter"
"Given its ground breaking capabilities and architecture the Xbox game system is the ideal platform to enable this type of advanced game technology. With sprawling space landscapes and vast indoor environments, we are creating immense new worlds for this game," said Paul Chapman, Producer at Warthog.
To make this possible, Warthog developed the Tusk engine. The new engine allows two key gameplay innovations. Tusk employs scene-graph principles that allow movement within and between different types of environments - currently impossible in other games. Additionally the advanced portal technology will allow gamers, for the first time ever, to be able to seamlessly transition between first person combat and space flight action.
"Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter" offers a wealth of innovative features, including the following:
- Seamless transitions between first person combat and space flight action
- Bespoke animation system allows motion blending and animation of detached parts of objects ("Motion Blending")
- Consistent flight control and weapons management systems in both space and on the ground
- Modular player vehicle system with a vast array of equipment and upgrades
- The ability to pilot a wide range of ships
- Lifelike NPC reaction depending on their intelligence, bravery, health, etc. and in combat will adjust their strategy based on their numbers, types of eapons, available cover, and numerous other conditions
- Diverse missions, some story driven, some incidental create a dynamic, realistic universe for an immersive experience
- Large number of player weapons from low to high tech, many unique to this game
- A huge variety of walk-around environments with different physics, obstacles, inhabitants and creatures
- High level of visual effects, lighting and sound, utilizing high-spec, optimized Xbox/PC capabilities
- Multiple weighted skinned animation system
- Per polygon collision systems
- Skinned deformable skeletal characters, Skeletal snapping
- Pixel shading for stunning graphical effects such as phong lighting, dynamic reflections and refractive transparency (Xbox Only)
- Vertex shaders will be used for skinning and dynamic level-of-detail (Xbox Only)