- Open-ended universe - Gamers can select to play random missions or follow the storyline. The universe is open for exploration, and the game advances based on decisions players make.
- Dynamic reputation - The players' reputations constantly evolve as they choose their missions, make allies or enemies and succeed or fail.
- Distinctive styles of play - Players can choose to act like bounty hunters, traders, pirates or explorers for different gameplay experiences.
- Trading - Commodity trading turns the gears of the universe. Mining planets churn out valuable minerals while agriculture planets cultivate grain. Players must find the best trade routes and profit.
- Compelling storyline - More than two hours of in-game cinematics plunge players into the mysteries of a vast planetary system. Character interaction will emotionally involve players in an intriguing and compelling storyline, giving them a sense of purpose.
- Vibrant, rich universe - Political intrigue permeates almost every aspect of the game. Players' decisions affect the dynamic relationships of other characters and ultimately alter the gameplay experience. "Simple" combat interface - The intricacies of space-combat can be mastered via a simple and intuitive mouse-driven interface.
- Multiplayer - Players may set up their own persistent world servers or play with gamers across the globe through Zone.com.
Availability: Fall 2002