As a detailed PC-based simulator of modern mechanized warfare, Steel Beasts centers around two of the world’s most awesome main battle tanks: the US’s M1A1 Abrams, and Germany’s Leopard 2A4. Players can experience all the sights and sounds of modern armored combat from the gunner’s or tank commander’s position, as well as the challenges of tactical planning and decision making from a powerful map view. In addition, multiplayer support allows any mission to be played over a network with any cooperative or competitive style of play, including multiple players in a single tank.
The new and improved features that are included in this Special Steel Beasts Gold Edition are:
- Dramatically improved debriefing phase: better playback features, and ability to view 3D world during debriefing
- Improved low level AI for vehicles and troops
- Added and improved features to make mission creation easier and more powerful (e.g. More events and triggers, nameable events and triggers, customizable ammo load-outs)
- Improved map graphic tools: all map graphics can now be stretched, rotated and flipped with added pre-made square and ellipse map graphics.
- Significantly modified fire control system for the M1A1, based on feedback from master gunners in the US Army
- Improved multiplayer performance
- Improved modeling of rounds
- Revised damage models based on feedback from armor experts
- Improved unit map symbols
- More convenient screenshot tool
- Improved joystick response, and added joystick centering hot keys
- Dozens of missions not included in the original SB, and better organization of missions.
Steel Beasts Gold will be distributed throughout North America by Infogrames. Strategy First is still in negotiations for a European distribution agreement.