Since 1996, Lara Croft and her famous costume have journeyed to the Great Wall of China, the deserts of Nevada, and the tombs of Egypt and soon the costume will be on its way to one very lucky bidder.
The outfit was worn by Nell McAndrew who modelled as Lara Croft from 1998 to 1999. Lara Croft will never be seen in this outfit again making it even more collectable – a brand new outfit was unveiled last month by the new Lara Croft model, Jill de Jong.
Jeremy Heath-Smith, managing director of Core Design says, “This outfit is one of the most desired items in computer game history. We hope it will raise a substantial amount of money for a very worthwhile cause.”
Rose Nelson, regional fundraising manager of UNICEF UK says, “Education opens an infinite number of doors for children and it is our hope that all children everywhere can receive their right to a basic education.
Rose Nelson continued, “Sadly though, more than 130 million children world-wide - most of them girls - are being denied this right. UNICEF is working very hard to get these children in to school and we are so grateful to Eidos and the public for supporting our efforts.”
Jennie Reed, marketing communications manager of eBay UK says, “We are sure that this Lara Croft outfit will prove to be a huge hit with girls, who dream of looking like her, and boys who want their girlfriends to look like her! With such a world-wide appeal we are confident that a significant amount of money will be raised by selling the item on eBay, for what is such a good cause.”
- The UK size 10 shorts were worn by Nell McAndrew over 40 times during the 1998 world tour
- The all-in-one vest, UK size 12 (34DD), was donned by sprinkling talcum powder onto the skin and carefully moving the latex top very slowly over the body
- The outfit was worn in Australia, New York and Los Angeles during the 1998 Tomb Raider tour
- The all-in-one vest had to be sprayed with silicon before each appearance
- The sunglasses were custom built by Cutler & Gross
The auctioned outfit includes:
- Lara’s circular sunglasses
- Green rubber all-in-one vest
- Open-backed leather gloves
- Military-style shorts
- Twin leather holsters with large buckle belt
- Twin Smith and Wesson automatic replica pistols
- Thick woollen calf-length socks
Certificate of authenticity signed by:
- Lara Croft model (1998-99): Nell McAndrew
- Eidos chairman: Ian Livingstone
- Core Design managing director: Jeremy Heath-Smith
- UNICEF fundraising manager: Rose Nelson