With time to think and plan your moves and tactics, KotC is not only an ideal introduction to the strategy genre but the 102 individual battles in campaign and skirmish mode, both historical and original, and the unique set of units and weapons available to each side, makes this a challenging game for all strategists. Win the battles to earn gold with which to buy more units. The background scenario, based on a novel by Polish author Henryk Sienkiewicz, of the war between a combined army of Poles, Lithuanians and Bohemian mercenaries, and the Teutonic Order should entice those players who want to try something a little different. Knights of the Cross could be what you’ve been looking for.
The game covers the period before and after the battle of Tannenberg (Grünwald) in the year 1410, one of most important battles of medieval history and one of great importance for both the Polish and German people. The events of the game take place in 15th Century Eastern Europe, before and after the siege of Marienburg (Malbork), the Grand-Commandery (capital) of The Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, who, by 1410, ruled most of Prussia and the Baltic States. In effect a Theocracy. An army led by Vladislav V, King of the now united Poland-Lithuania, besieged the Knights at Marienburg. A Knight of the Cross is the name of the Germanic Order of Teutonic Knights (their actual title being "The Order of Knights of the Hospital of St. Mary of the Teutons in Jerusalem”).
- Play as either the Polish Kingdom or the Teutonic Knights of the Cross.
- 22 upgradeable individual units.
- 4 weapon and 4 armour types for each unit.
- 102 individual battles (53 German and 49 Polish).
- 46 battle maps for Skirmish mode.
- Changing weather conditions include rain, snow, and storms.
- An original Medieval score accompanied by realistic sound effects.
- Network play through IPX and TCP/IP protocol.
(A revival of the turn based strategy game)