As the company that created the first-ever online console game in 2000 for SEGA Dreamcast, SEGA has developed and delivered over 15 online console games in the last two years -- more than any other video game company. Building upon its extensive online experience, SEGA also announced the first eight games in its second-generation online lineup for the new console systems including "SEGA Sports NFL 2K3," "SEGA Sports NBA 2K3" and "SEGA Sports NCAA College Basketball 2K3" for PlayStation 2 and Xbox; "Phantasy Star Online" (working title) for Xbox; and "Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II" for Nintendo GameCube. Additional titles will be announced at a later date.
"SEGA is the undisputed industry leader when it comes to online console gaming," said Peter Moore, president and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. "While other publishers are taking their first steps in online console gaming, SEGA is already running full speed ahead, shipping our sixteenth title before they even ship their first."
The first eight online titles announced in SEGA's online lineup for the new next-generation consoles include:
- "SEGA Sports NFL 2K3" (PlayStation 2, Xbox) The first-ever online console game, "SEGA Sports NFL 2K1," returns for the 2003 season, this time on PlayStation 2 and Xbox!
- "SEGA Sports NBA 2K3" (PlayStation 2, Xbox) The critically acclaimed basketball franchise takes it to the hardwood online on PlayStation 2 and Xbox.
- "SEGA Sports NCAA College Basketball 2K3" (PlayStation 2, Xbox) The newly added "SEGA Sports NCAA College Basketball 2K3" brings college hoops online for the first time on PlayStation 2 and Xbox!
- "Phantasy Star Online" (working title) (Xbox)"Phantasy Star Online" makes its way to Xbox.
- "Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II" (Nintendo GameCube)
The latest version of the award-winning online global RPG that sparked a gaming phenomenon, "Phantasy Star Online" makes its way to Nintendo GameCube.
- Two additional online titles will be announced in 2002.