"With intense action and beautiful style, Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse combines the abilities of extremely gifted artists, writers, engineers and actors to create a top-notch horror/action game," said Michael Mendheim, vice president and creative director, The 3DO Company. "We're adding a modern, sinister spin on a classic theme, and creating a powerful main character that players will identify with. We're also going all-out with mature content mixed with action and violence of Biblical proportions. This is not your father's video game -- it's more like The Matrix meets Hellraiser."
About Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Set in the present day, the archangel Abaddon faces possessed zealots, demons, and the daunting powers of the personified plagues of Mankind: Pestilence, War, Famine and Death. As Abaddon, the player must find the three "Chosen" and combine their untapped powers in time to save the world from destruction; but that won't be easy -- God's Chosen are mortals, not to mention they're a prostitute, a serial killer and a corrupt politician. Hand-to-hand, sword, and projectile combat combine with fantastic abilities to create a surreal cinematic experience.
The story unfolds via in-game cinematics and "graphic novel" sequences by Simon Bisley -- who is also the title's character designer. These graphic novel images are displayed on-screen complete with animations, voices and sound effects -- bringing Bisley's work to life and immersing the player in the dark underworld of Hell's emissaries.
Features of the game include:
- Incredible gore and destruction effects including dismemberment, realistic and dynamic exit wounds through objects and people, morph animations, melting, and blood splatters.
- Diverse weaponry, including swords for melee combat, automatic weapons, projectiles for ranged combat and magic (slow time), combines into spectacular cinematic violence.
- Mature content with adult themes, brief nudity and extreme violence.
- Stunning deaths (finishing moves) and Hollywood-style combat moves choreographed and performed by the Smashcut Action Team (The Matrix 1-3, Fight Club, The Crow).
- 18+ levels of photo-realistic play that sweep players through gothic environments, the post-apocalypse of World War III, and the depths of Hell itself.