Since the launch of MLB Slugfest 20-03 for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, it has outsold all competitive baseball games for the PlayStation 2 by two-to-one. In the month of July, MLB Slugfest 20-03 hit a home run with consumers everywhere, outselling all competing PlayStation 2 games' combined sales by a two-to-one margin, and any single PlayStation 2 competitor by five-to-one. (NPDFunworld, July 2002)
Officially licensed by Major League Baseball Properties and MLBPA, MLB SlugFest 20-03 will change the way people think about America's national pastime. Developed by the creators of NFL® Blitz®, MLB SlugFest 20-03 features real Major League Baseball players, teams and stadiums in the first and only over-the-top, adrenaline-style baseball videogame. Unlike any other baseball game, MLB SlugFest 20-03 features incredibly larger-than-life, muscle-bound athletes who take to the field to perform outrageous plays both offensively and defensively, including turbo-powered throws and pitches, blistering hits, and acrobatic diving catches.
"MLB Slugfest 20-03 combines real baseball action with signature Midway Sports over-the-top gameplay," said Helene Sheeler, vice president of marketing, Midway. "The result delivers adrenaline-style gameplay unlike any other baseball game on the market, for both longtime fans of the sport as well as action gamers."
MLB SlugFest 20-03 uses advanced motion capture technology to clearly detail each player's facial expressions and reactions. The animations are so precise, gamers can view players on the field chewing gum, talking to one another and cheering for their teammates. While at the plate, gamers can dig in and unleash a mammoth blast clear out of the park.
Six-time MLB All-Star Alex Rodriguez appears on the package cover and other advertising materials for the game. Entering his seventh full Major League Baseball season, the Texas Rangers® shortstop adds to the authentic baseball delivered in MLB SlugFest 20-03.
Also stepping up to the plate is Roadrunner Records recording act Dry Kill Logic, which recorded a hard-rockin', new millenium version of `Take Me Out to the Ball Game' to accompany the game's aggressive attitude and extreme-style play. Dry Kill Logic performs in a music video, which is featured in the game's DVD section and was created especially for MLB SlugFest 20-03. In addition, Midway licensed music from the electronica band Curve to complement the fast-paced action of the game.
"This is an exciting opportunity for Major League Baseball to not only enhance our product mix, but also to expose us to a whole new audience," said Carolann Dunn, senior director of licensing, Major League Baseball.
Additionally, John Olshan, Category Director for Interactive Games at the Major League Baseball Players Association, said, "We selected Midway to make an over-the-top, action-style baseball game because we wanted Mark Turmell and Sal DiVita, the twisted minds that invented the NBA Jam and NFL® Blitz-style sports videogames, to sprinkle their magic on baseball." Olshan also added, "We are thrilled with the direction they are taking America's national pastime and look forward to SlugFest expanding the market for baseball games beyond sports fans to include action gamers as well."
MLB SlugFest 20-03 also features hilarious and shocking commentary by Tim Kitzrow, the long-time, key entertaining voice talent in blockbuster Midway titles such as NFL Blitz, NHL® Hitz 20-02, NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC and NBA Jam, as well as commentator Jim Shorts, the highly acclaimed sports comedy DJ on WCKG radio in Chicago.
MLB SlugFest 20-03 Xbox Key Features
- Adrenaline-Style Gameplay -- Over-the-Top, nonstop action from blazing fastballs to screaming line drives to wall-crashing catches.
- Fast-Action Batter/Pitcher Interface -- The fastest brand of baseball ever seen.
- Real Player Faces -- Unbelievably detailed faces, right down to the gum-chewing.
- Outrageous Animations -- More than 1,500 animations, featuring your favorite MLB players performing as they only dream they could.
MLB and MLBPA licensed product -- All your favorite MLB teams, players and stadiums.
- Hilarious commentary by Midway Sports announcer Tim Kitzrow and commentator Jim Shorts, the highly acclaimed sports comedy DJ on WCKG radio in Chicago.
- Licensed music -- Explosive music from Dry Kill Logic, including the all-new rendition of `Take Me Out to the Ball Game,' as well as music from the electronica band, Curve.
Best of both worlds -- Real teams, players, stadiums, stats and player attributes combined with fantasy players and stadiums, plus the most outrageous catches, pitches, hits and over-the-top action ever played out in a MLB videogame.
- Unique DVD Content -- Dry Kill Logic performs in a music video, created especially for MLB SlugFest 20-03 and featured in the game's DVD section.
- Midway Games Inc. is a leading developer, publisher and marketer of interactive entertainment software. Midway videogames are available for play on all major videogame platforms including the PlayStation2, the Xbox, Nintendo GameCube and Game Boy Advance.
For more information about Midway Games visit the official Midway website.