Approximately 20 years after the events depicted in Deus Ex, the world is only beginning to recover from a catastrophic worldwide depression brought on by technology run amok and a secret conspiratorial war.
The winner-take-all geopolitics of mid-21st century Earth have given way to a struggle over more basic concerns: food, water, reestablishing civil law and cleaning up biological and nano-tech fallout. In this chaotic recovery, several religious and political factions see an opportunity to re-shape a worldwide government to their agendas, understanding that the right moves now could determine the shape of human society for decades - even centuries - to come.
Amidst the debris, the player Alex D. emerges in search the identities of true players behind the power struggles and the source of his own mysterious origins. In a techno-nightmare of the fragile revival or ultimate decimation of human civilization, take part in a dark dramatic struggle to raise the world from it's own ashes.
- Action-packed first person-perspective adventure with shooter game-play elements.
- RPG character creation and advancement through choice of nano-tech augmentations and inventory gear.
- Support for stealth gameplay, with darkness and sound affecting enemy awareness.
- Variable gameplay - multiple solutions to problems and support for varying stylistic approaches.
- Non-lethal, non-violent resolution to conflict, allowing players to make ethical statements through their actions.
- A large variety of interesting gameplay tools and character powers in the form of gear and nano-tech augmentations, allowing players to exploit the superhuman powers of their character to interesting effect. For instance, DX2 allows players to see through walls, leap 40 feet into the air, regenerate critical body damage or render themselves radar invisible.
- A dynamic, non-linear story with responsive plot branches and character attitudes. The player is allowed unprecedented freedom of action.
- Interactive conversations with numerous secondary characters, featuring meaningful, plot relevant dialogue choices.
- Wide ranging and tactically interesting Artificial Intelligence - creatures and human units work together as groups - sometimes employing stealth and cover against the player.
- Real world locations, allowing the player to engage in a globe-hopping adventure, visiting Red Square, Seattle, London and other interesting places.
- Highly interactive environments - everything in the game world has some interesting (and potentially unforeseen) effect. The player has agency...he can reach out, alter the world around him and see the effects of his actions.