"Vivendi Universal Games is thrilled to release this third-person action-adventure game that is the only video game based on the best-selling book from the number one fantasy series of all time," said Luc Vanhal, President & COO, North America, Vivendi Universal Games.
In The Hobbit, which brings to life the immortal tale of J.R.R. Tolkien's prelude to The Lord of the Rings, players explore the magical world of Middle-earth, where they will meet enchanting Elves, battle-ready Dwarves, the powerful wizard Gandalf, massive Trolls, bloodthirsty Goblins, the evil Gollum and more, as they traverse from the peaceful lands of the Shire to the harrowing forests of Mirkwood and beyond, ultimately challenging Smaug the Dragon.
- Jump, ledge grab, shimmy, climb ropes and ladders, and journey through expansive 3D action-packed environments in the magnificent world of Middle-earth
- Play in such recognizable locations as Mirkwood, the Shire and the Lonely Mountain
- Battle hordes of Orcs, Goblins, Wargs and more in the fantastic quest to retake the Lonely Mountain
- Use the power of the Ring to become invisible and sneak past enemies
- Engage in perilous combat using weapons like Bilbo's legendary sword, Sting
- Confront Smaug the Dragon in the depths of the Lonely Mountain and take on legions of enemies in the epic Battle of the Five Armies
In an early preview of The Hobbit, Play Magazine said: "On a game play scale, The Hobbit ranks among the best, mixing adventure and platforming as well as it's ever been done." And Nintendo Power declared that The Hobbit "might prove to be one of the wonders of 2003."
Rated E for Everyone, The Hobbit is currently available on the Nintendo GameCube, PlayStation 2 and Xbox for a suggested retail price of $49.99; on the Game Boy Advance and PC for a suggested retail price of $29.99. For sales and ordering information, customers can visit www.vugames.com.