Version 1.03 Changes
General: The 1.03 patch fixes bugs, adds a number of frequently requested interface features, and also has two major gameplay balance adjustments.
First, the A.I. is now much stronger. Second, the amount of passengers and mail produced late in games has been significantly reduced. The combination of
these two changes results in many scenarios being somewhat harder to win. There are also a number of smaller game balance tweaks.
1. You can now bulldoze in multiplayer games.
2. Cleaned up some out-of-synch issues.
3. Connection error reporting is now much more robust - it'll be easier to tell why you can't connect, if you're having problems.
Single Player Bug Fixes
4. Fixed a crash bug that could occur when cycling through stations in the Consist window for trains that used waypoints.
5. Fixed a crash that could occur while bulldozing track.
6. Fixed a crash bug that could occur, rarely, when cycling through trains using the next/previous buttons or the Page Up/Page Down keys.
7. Fixed a crash bug that could occur, very rarely, without direct player interaction (due to routing issues)
8. Fixed a bug where playing in Windows XP Limited User Mode could cause crashes.
9. Fixed a track-laying problem with electric, double-track bridges (and possibly others) that could cause crashes.
10. Fixed a ledger bug where using the industry list when you had a LOT of industries could cause crashes.
11. Fixed a ledger bug where clicking on a player in the player list could call up the wrong financial data for that player.
12. Fixed a problem with trains slowing down for no apparent reason, especially at single track-double track junctions.
13. Fixed a problem that sometimes occurred where certain sections of track would slow trains down considerably (note, trains still approach stations and
service towers slowly - that's intentional - this bug was different)
14. Fixed a bug where cities would be considered "Connected" when they only had a service tower or maintenance shed.
Single Player Balance and Gameplay Tweaking
15. Reduced the amount of passengers and mail in the middle and later stages of a game (i.e. when the map is built up with lots of track) by 15-30%.
16. Decreased the effects of a locomotive's Passenger Appeal rating from (worst to best) -15%, 0, +15%, +30% to -10%, 0, +10%, +20%.
17. Increased the effect that track curves have on train speed, especially for slower, earlier trains.
18. Decreased the momentum effect of trains, which means trains going uphill
will lose speed faster, and steeper grades will generally affect trains more.
19. Bumped up the rate at which express and freight cargo profits decrease
while on your trains by 15% and 10% respectively. This penalizes slow
deliveries more harshly than before.
20. To compensate for the above items which decrease revenue and/or train
performance in specific ways, increased the overall revenue from train hauling
21. Increased the cost of placing new factories (i.e. Steel Mill) by 10-15%.
Prices for purchasing existing factories are unchanged. This will increase the
incentive to purchase an existing, profitable building rather than always
placing your own.
22. Increased the cost of the Post Office from $25K to $40K.
23. Mines and farms will hold a bit larger quantities of the cargo they produce
in their 'home square', thus making it easier to capture it with a nearby
station before it moves away.
24. If two factories demand the same resource cargo, and one is slightly closer
to the source, it is now more likely that a small portion of resource cargo
will reach even the factory that is farther away.
25. AI is better able to declare bankruptcy when it's suitable.
26. AI can issue stock in its own company, as appropriate, when cash is
27. AI companies liquidate faster in hopeless situations.
28. AI companies expand a little more readily at the beginning of the game.
29. AI trains are managed a bit better with respect to oil, sand and water.
30. AI buys more trains at start when initial 2 stations are far apart.
31. AI starts better in Go West! and Orient Express scenarios (a couple of the
cities the AI normally uses in these scenarios were tweaked to be a bit
32. AI does a better job of upgrading to double track as needed.
33. AI will now build electric track in scenarios where all locomotives are
electric (i.e. stand-alone France)
Single Player New Features
34. You can now buy the assets (track and stations) of liquidated companies.
It works like attempting a merger with a non-liquidated company (uses the same
interface), but there is a fixed, discounted price for the assets, and no
shareholder vote is necessary.
35. Added 'Color Adjustment' option (in settings window, within
'Miscellaneous'for color blind users to change the red/yellow/green color
scheme used for overlays (the option is in the settings window, under
36. Added option to reduce or eliminate camera auto-centering when selecting
trains and stations (the option is in the settings window, under 'Camera
37. Added ability to insert stops anywhere in a train's route, by holding down
<Shift> when clicking to add a stop.
38. Added support for double-byte versions of the game (i.e. Chinese,
39. Improved performance when many (100+) trains running on complex routing
networks. Performance improvement is about 15-25% in the most severe cases.
40. Station detail - cargo price display (upper right) - Foreign stations are
now shown dimmed so they're easier to distinguish. Also, fixed bug in sort
order for express cargo.
41. Changed the background color and some of the foreground colors in several
overview modes for greater visibility/clarity.
42. Chicago to New York Repositioned Louisville so it is south of the Ohio river, as it should be.
43. France: Fixed French/German border for correct post-1945 positioning.
44. Germany: Fixed Austrian alliance event to properly give access rights to Austria.
45. Central Pacific (Campaign) : Removed ledger status information about track built that had been displaying incorrectly.
46. Fixed Special Condition 'Disable Issuing and Buyback of stock' so that the game correctly disables the buyback buttons when this condition is on.
47. Added Validation for Game Year/Month event condition to ensure that it is not used for annual events.
48. You can now import heightmaps at sizes up to 1024 x 1024 (previous cap was 768 x 768 for square maps).
49. You can now remove access rights for a territory that a company already has access to, by selecting that territory in the company detail panel, territories
tab, in the list box.
50. Fixed a bug when where adding a new event and then using the 'Move Up' button could cause some of the event data and text to be overwritten.
Version 1.02 Changes
General: The 1.02 patch resolves a number of issues, especially in multi-player (some out-of-synch and crashing issues), as well as assorted single player issues (especially a crash-on-launch issue on certain Win 98 machines, and a stability issue seen on a small minority of computers – issues 1 and 2 in the Single Player/General section detailed below).
Note: Players with the 1.02 patch CAN NOT play Multiplayer games against players with 1.00 or 1.01 versions of the game. The 1.02 patch greatly improves multiplayer stability and reduces out-of-synch issues, so we strongly encourage all multiplayer gamers to use this patch.
1. Fixed some general Out-of-synch issues that, in the older version, decreased stability and caused other oddness (track not being in the same place on all player’s PCs)
2. Fixed a bug where the game would crash if the chat window was opened when another event window would appear.
3. Fixed some cases where a player’s game could crash if the host kicked that player out.
4. Added new connect message alerting the player if they try to join a game that has already been started.
5. Fixed a bug where the game might crash if a player tried to join a game just moments before the host started that game. In this situation the host might timeout waiting for the player to respond appearing as if the game has hung.
6. Fixed a bug where hourglass mouse cursor would not appear when launching the game from Gamespy Arcade.
1. Fixed a bug with certain Win 98 machines, where they would always lock-up on launching the game, because they were unable to read the intro movie from the CD - now that movie will not be shown if it failed the first time the game was launched.. (Note, copying all the movies in the CD’s movies directory to the datamovies directory on your hard drive also resolves this, AND lets you see the movies, too)
2. Frequent crashing work-around. A new option has been provided, for users who can start the game, but experience frequent crashes, usually within 5-60 minutes of play or less. In the settings window, graphics tab, check off the ‘Disable Hardware T & L’ option. This should greatly improve stability on the small minority of machines with serious stability issues. Try it if you’re crashing at very frequent intervals.
3. Fixed a bug when creating a company with no name would crash the game.
4. Fixed a lockup that could occur when bulldozing and replacing a bridge in some circumstances.
5. Fixed a couple places where it was possible to branch off the tutorial or otherwise take actions that prevented completing the tutorial.
6. Fixed a crash that could occur on the setup screen if you went to ‘New Scenario’, then ‘Back’, then into ‘Load Scenario’, without any scenarios available to load.
7. Fixed a bug where the A.I. would sometimes lay incomplete routes to cities.
8. Fixed a bug where re-routing a train back to the station it just came from could be used as a hack to make undeserved profits.
9. Fixed a bug where incorrect amounts were being charged in some cases while upgrading bridges and tunnels.
10. Fixed a bug on the station cargo to/from list, where sometimes the selected station showed up in it’s own list of possible cargo destinations.
11. Newspapers will no longer pop-up while you’re in the middle of laying (mouse-dragging) track.
12. Fixed a bug where creating wooden bridges (but not actually placing them) in limited track scenarios would cause the track count to drop.
13. Bulldozed track now disappears from radar mini-map.
14. Fixed problem accessing Weblinks from within game using Netscape.
15. Fixed bug with ‘Tree Density’ slider in settings window not remembering it’s position correctly.
16. Fixed a bug where certain hotkey combinations would not be saved/reloaded correctly.
17. Toned down the wind ambient noise at high altitudes.
18. Improved performance of Ledger – Industries section when player owns many industries.
First 3 maps are campaign maps, last 5 are stand-alone scenarios
Note: All these fixes are incorporated within the patched program file (RT3.EXE) and applied to the maps when loaded – there’s no need to download new map files.
1. State of Germany: Fixed certain effects/bonuses that were reversed between Hannover and Bavaria choices
2. Dutchlantis: Gold event will now fire off within one week of achieving it, rather than at end of year only.
3. Britain: Connection condition will only trigger if your company achieves it not if A.I. company achieves it.
4. Tex-Mex: Briefing in multiplayer listed incorrect scenario duration – the scenario lasts 20 years in multiplayer.
5. New Beginnings: Win conditions will only trigger if your company achieves them, not if A.I. company achieves them. Briefing clarifies that your company (not an A.I. company) must connect cities.
6. Italy: You now continue to receive additional track allotments after the scenario ends, if you keep playing.
7. Southeast US: Two rivers had been misnamed – fixed now.
8. Southeast Australia: Fixed Steam marketing event so it concludes successfully.
1. Fixed so it no longer crashes when loading very large heightmap TGAs.
2. Fixed so that when loading a map in editor mode, game year is automatically set to year of scenario (useful for adding electric track to modern maps).
3. Added a ‘Set Cash’ option when viewing company detail screens in editor mode, for easier setup of companies.
Version 1.01 Changes
1. Implemented full language support for German, French, Italian, Spanish.
2 Trains no longer skip a scheduled stop if a water tower or maintenance shed exists nearby.
1. Fixed bug where entering and exiting LAN or GAME LOBBY setup screens multiple times might lead to the game crashing.
2. Fixed bug where entering and exiting LAN or GAME LOBBY setup screens would cause the current game map not to show up in the text box provided.
3. Fixed bug where a player would not be charged for upgrading normal track to electric.
4. Fixed bug where foreign language versions could not change game maps once other players had joined the hosted game.
More articles about Railroad Tycoon 3