"SAMURAI WARRIORS offers bold new interpretations not only of Feudal Japan, but also of the Tactical Action genre," said Amos Ip, Vice-President of Sales & Marketing for KOEI Corporation. "Our development team has taken the techniques they have mastered with the Dynasty Warriors series, and combined them with new creative energies to realize an experience filled with refined story-telling, epic battles, and breath-taking visuals."
Omega Force, KOEI's award-winning development team behind SAMURAI WARRIORS, is also responsible for creating the Dynasty Warriors(TM) series, which has already sold nearly 6 million units worldwide.
About Samurai Warriors
When the political power of the Ashikaga Shogunate collapsed in the succession dispute of 1467, the islands of Japan erupted in a series of major wars. This era in Japanese history became known as the Sengoku or "warring states" period. SAMURAI WARRIORS explores this dramatic era and combines it with the Tactical Action excitement KOEI has become known for.
SAMURAI WARRIORS stars the brave Sanada Yukimura, who leads an elite band of samurai and ninja. Sanada's journey will take him to the hallowed Japanese
battlefields of Okehazama and Kawanakajima and inside the embattled walls of Osaka Castle where he will come face-to-face with gun-toting troops, echelons of ninja, and deadly kunoichi (female ninja).
Players can choose the role of Sanada Yukimura or other legendary samurai and ninja. The game will herald the rise of the indispensable ninja, Hattori Hanzo, from the shadows of history, as well as the reemergence of KOEI's powerful and mysterious Oda Nobunaga.
SAMURAI WARRIORS boasts several new developments. Among them, the new AMS (active mission system) triggers a distinct mission during each battle. To
accept or decline the mission is up to the player. Missions evolve depending on player performance and the tide of battle. Success or failure can affect scenarios in later stages. With 500 variations, the chain of missions is unique with each play, adding depth while heightening the urgency and excitement of combat. Samurai Warriors' AFS (auto-formation system) randomly generates castle levels and conquest routes offering a new experience with each play.
Samurai Warriors also features:
- Game environments are rendered in deeply saturated chromatic tones while seasonal and time elements enhance the lush visuals. Cherry blossoms will flourish throughout springtime battlegrounds. While in autumn, the pampas grass will sway.
- The New Warlord mode allows players to create a warrior by clearing a series of mini-games. The results of the mini-game determine the characteristics and abilities of your warrior.
- Players use katana (sword), shuriken (throwing stars), kuzarigama (sickle and chain), kunai (daggers), and other lethal weapons
- Unique character specific behaviors emphasize the personality of each character.
- Circular blades, false staircases, and other traps lay hidden within castle environments.
- Scenarios are based on historical accounts and fictional tales. Players will do battle along the Nakajima River, within the castles of Azuchi and Odawara, and many more exotic locales.
- From the menacing sound of an impending attack to the gentle sounds of nature, the game's use of DolbyR Pro LogicTII sound will put players into the middle of the action.
- Dolby Digital 5.1-channel sound in pre-rendered CG sequences.
SAMURAI WARRIORS is exclusive to the PlayStation 2, and is a 1-2 Player game. The title is rated "RP" (Rating Pending) by the ESRB.