"We've worked extremely closely with Microsoft to ensure that 'Microsoft Train Simulator 2' meets everyone's high expectations and are very pleased with the results," said Jonathan Newth, managing director of Kuju Entertainment. "The levels of detail and fidelity have improved tremendously, and we've further developed the product's open architecture. The open architecture is a key feature which enables users to easily enhance their experience by downloading additional tracks, engines and scenery."
Microsoft Train Simulator 2 features :
- Five new, highly detailed routes from around the world. "Microsoft Train Simulator 2" allows virtual engineers to relive the golden age of steam by taking trains around the historic Horseshoe Curve on the Pennsylvania Railroad circa 1946, or on a high-speed run through Germany on the world-famous Deutsche Bahn AG.
- A living world. Railroads in "Microsoft Train Simulator 2" run through a dynamic environment, immersing conductors in a virtual world. Virtual engineers look out of their locomotive to see people in the stations and on the streets, cars moving about, and animals roaming the countryside. A new dynamic weather effect adds an additional layer of realism.
- Realistic railroad simulation. Virtual engineers can take charge of one of 13 fully interactive 3-D cabs complete with accurate, fully functional gauges and working controls, including, for the first time, U.S. steam locomotives. Vivid sound effects bring to life the rumble of a powerful modern diesel as it lugs a long coal train and the distinctive sounds of high-speed electric locomotives as they operate over famous routes in Europe.
- Real-world rail activities. Operational events unique to each route allow virtual engineers to choose from a variety of activities such as operating a passenger train on a strict timetable or keeping a heavy steam-powered freight train running at peak efficiency. Alternatively, users can sit back and enjoy many of the routes in the role of a passenger as the train rolls down the tracks.
- Open architecture. "Microsoft Train Simulator 2" allows users to customize and expand their experience by creating new trains, routes, scenery and challenges that suit their specific interests. Users also will find it easy to add content from third-party sources and import content from "Microsoft Train Simulator v1.0." Updates on the latest railroad features will be available online to enhance gameplay.
"Microsoft Train Simulator 2" will be available for PC in autumn 2003.