"The ability to go online and play against others of any level makes Chessmaster an unbeatable value," says Tony Kee, Ubi Soft's vice president of marketing. "Virtually any player can pick up this game and get a lot out of it, whether they're a beginner just learning the moves, or an expert looking to match wits against the outstanding computer opponents or other players via the internet."
Chessmaster includes a variety of chess modes, such as Quick Game, Rated Play, Handicap, Set-up Position and Puzzle. Along with the most powerful chess engine available on any console, Chessmaster also includes fun features, such as 3D Battlefield Chess, where armies of animated fantasy creatures fight on a checkered battlefield.
Players can also experience a large array of preset tournaments with a built in "Blunder Alert" feature that shows the opponent's AI having good or bad days. Just like real chess players, the AI's playing skill will vary depending on their mood at the moment. This allows the player to improve their game and to have the opportunity to defeat an AI who is having a bad day. For more information, visit www.chessmaster.com
- Unmatched chess engine: The strongest ever for a console game with an option to play at Grandmaster level.
- Test your skills online: Take on opponents live, via the Internet.
- Accessible to novice chess players: Comprehensive Chess School feature makes it easy and fun to learn chess.
- Learn from an International Master: Josh Waitzkin gives advice and easy-to-understand instructions for improving your game.
- Dynamic playing world: Ratings and game play of the AI opponents vary based on their success and will vary over time.
- New animated battlefield chess: Pieces will animate and attack each other with three specially designed 3D fantasy chess boards.
- Voice featured lessons: More than 40 hours of voice featured lessons including the latest tutorials from Josh Waitzkin's Psychology of Competition Chess Course.
- Over 150 AI opponents and 800 annotated classic chess matches.