"We're really excited that people are now able to pick up a copy of 'Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne' and start playing the complete game," stated Mike Morhaime, Blizzard Entertainment president and co-founder. "We've introduced a wide array of new units, Heroes, and upgrades specifically designed to enhance each race, and we look forward to hearing players' reactions to these new features."
Following in the tradition of previous Blizzard expansion sets, "Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" provides gamers with a vast new chapter in the epic Warcraft saga. In the single-player campaign, players revisit the war-torn world of Azeroth. Several months have passed since Archimonde and the Burning Legion were defeated at the battle of Mount Hyjal, yet a new threat has arisen throughout the land.
The evil Lich King Ner'zhul has been imprisoned inside the Icecrown glacier, deep within the arctic continent of Northrend. Although the former Orc Shaman lacks physical form, his soul lives on, forever seeking a means to escape his icy prison. As the saga continues, it is revealed that both the Night Elf renegade, Illidan, and the traitorous Death Knight, Arthas, seek the Icecrown glacier and the mysterious powers found inside. To save all of Azeroth from the forces of darkness, players must traverse uncharted lands and battle treacherous new enemies while uncovering the schemes of these nefarious beings.
Key features include:
- 4 single-player campaigns, including a bonus RPG-style mini-campaign designed to demonstrate the power of the world editor
- 4 new race-specific Heroes, each with a complementary set of powerful spells and abilities
- 2 new units per race, adding depth to the strategies and tactics that players can employ
- 3 new tilesets, featuring new lands to explore and numerous new creeps and critters
- Player-built shops, equipped with items uniquely designed for each race
- 5 neutral Heroes that players can recruit to strengthen their armies, such as the Dark Ranger and the Pandaren Brewmaster, each with unique spells and abilities
- New neutral buildings that provide players with additional units, new magical items, and a new mode of transportation
- Expanded multiplayer options over Battle.net, including clan and tournament support
- An enhanced world editor that allows players to create and connect their own custom campaigns, complete with cut-scenes and voiceovers
"Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" brings all of these new features and enhancements to the fastest-selling PC game ever(a), "Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos." To date, "Reign of Chaos" has sold well over 3 million copies worldwide(a). "Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" will be available at retail chains worldwide for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP and Macintosh formats, at a price of approximately $35. The game will also be available directly from Blizzard at 800/953-SNOW and www.blizzard.com. "Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" has received a Teen rating from the ESRB.
Since its debut in 1994, the #1-selling "Warcraft" series has won industry acclaim and has shattered sales records worldwide with more than 8 million copies sold(a). In 1995, Blizzard followed the well-received "Warcraft: Orcs and Humans" with the highly acclaimed "Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness," considered by many critics to be one of the best games ever made. In 2002, Blizzard expanded the boundaries of the epic "Warcraft" universe with the release of "Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos." This third chapter in the legendary saga quickly reached the #1 position on sales charts around the world and has since garnered numerous Game of the Year awards.