Previously the car handling employed a steering aid, which had the effect of making the car move around a central pivot point. Now the aid's been removed, effectively taking the stabilisers off, providing for a more professional, realistic and natural handling experience and you'll notice the difference, especially when performing skids and powerslides.
Says Gary Dunn, Codemasters' Director of Development:
"It's all in the detail; the team has enhanced the already-powerful physics engine to make each car handle even more realistically and instinctively. Cars are modelled heavier and have more attributes added to the engine. From Colin McRae Rally 3, we've also increased the number of terrain surface types from 20 to 34, and tyre types from 10 to 19, to ensure the handling on different surfaces and weather conditions is more accurate than ever before."
Creating a new playing experience for the 6-million-selling series' fans, the high-end handling is beautifully balanced with the game's rally stages. As always, each rally stage featured has been individually designed to provide a thrilling driving challenge.
Maximising the rally gaming experience that tests both the cars and the player's rallying skills, Colin McRae Rally 04 is set to be the rally event of the year when it's published by Codemasters for PlayStation 2 and Xbox in late September. Stay in the driving seat with all the latest on the game at www.codemasters.com/colinmcrae04
- Choose from over 20 rally cars and compete in 8 game modes including 4-wheel drive, 2-wheel drive, Group B and Expert Championships (with single and multiplayer options).
- New, faster game engine for improved textures, new animated environments, and incredibly detailed terrain visuals. Enhanced replay cameras and new in-game "bumper cam" also feature.
- 8 international rally locations (UK, Sweden, USA, Finland, Australia, Spain, Greece, Japan), 6 rally stages in each, 8 shakedown events, and 4 Superspecial stages.
- Part testing challenges - earn new car technology by completing part tests between rallies.
- Masses of multiplayer modes and ghost car racing.
- Create your own Custom Rally with favourites stages or themed stages.
- Full set-up and repair options and detailed pre-race stage briefings.
- Normal, advanced and expert damage settings. Plus 'damage cam': see the impact on your car post-race.