"The demand for a Rugby League video game has been overwhelming and it was important therefore that the end result combined the latest technology and a genuine feel for the game" says David Robles Business Development Manager of HES.
New Zealand distributors of the title, GameWizz Interactive, have also secured the endorsement of Kiwi league superstar, Stacey Jones. While the game will be known in other territories as "Rugby League", in New Zealand the title will be distributed as "Stacey Jones Rugby League".
Mr Jones has commented, "I'm extremely excited to be a part of this project. Its great to see a videogame which captures the true feel of rugby league and allows fans to get involved at a whole new level."
Features of the game include
- 35 teams, with official licenses that include the National Rugby League (NRL), NRL Telstra Premiership, State Of Origin, City vs Country, the Australian Kangaroos, and the New Zealand Kiwis
- 25 realistic stadiums
- Play by play commentary by Channel 9's Andrew Voss
- Accurate player abilities and skills modelled on detailed data supplied by official NRL statisticians, NRL Stats
- Gameplay includes high tackles, ankle taps, multi-person tackles, injuries, sin bin, interchange, knock ons, cut out passes, sidesteps, offloads, fends, break tackles, scrums, slow-mo replays, grubber kicks, chips, punts, field goals, bombs and more
- Multiple in-game camera angles to choose from including both behind and side-on based views
- Both day and night games, with variable weather and wind
- Over 700 separate realistic animations, with additional motion blending and dynamic head tracking for unlimited variety
- High quality graphics including player likenesses, dynamic lighting and shadows
- Comprehensive player, team, and competition customisation with the ability to alter all elements of players including the face, skin colour, head shape, hair style and colour, height, weight, and 12 separate skill attributes
- Authentic sound captured from actual league matches and training sessions
- Dynamic crowds including variable attendance and response to ingame events
- 5 levels of difficulty with unlockable features and content
- Up to 8 person multiplayer on PS2 and PC
- Up to 4 person multiplayer on Xbox