Taking advantage of the latest graphics cards capabilities, EGOSOFT have pushed the game's graphical boundaries to the limit in order to create the most visually detailed universe ever seen. Utilising the latest DirectX coding, the 3D engine encompasses many spectacular visual effects including volumetric Nebulae (gas clouds) that have real game play impact (players can hide from pursuing enemies within these dense clouds). Dynamic DP3 bump mapping provides unprecedented levels of detail, whilst objects cast real dynamic 3D shadows. The built-in Automatic Quality Control (AQC) system changes the visual quality, to achieve the highest possible frame rates on any given, supporting system. The game is so impressive; the gamer could easily be mistaken that it had come from a Hollywood studio! The ROLLING DEMO can also be run in benchmark mode to measure system and graphic card performance with selected engine features like real time shadows or DP3 bump mapping turned on or off.
Exclusively published by and distributed in the UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, Republic of Ireland, Italy and French speaking Belgium by KOCH Media, X²: THE THREAT from EGOSOFT is launched on Windows PC at £34.99 SRP (UK) on 24th October 2003. For additional information visit the official X²: The Threat website at: www.x2thethreat.com
- Trade commodities between space stations, become a bounty hunter closing in for the next highly profitable kill, prey on other traders as a pirate by stealing cargo or even whole ships, mine asteroids for profit, or build your empire on the back of all these trades.
- Large, dynamic universe in which to interact and explore. Comprising a heart thumping freeform storyline, interspersed with dozens of interlinked missions and multiple smaller stand-alone paying jobs.
- State of the art graphics engine, utilising the latest DirectX features such as vertexshading, DP3 bump mapping & volumetric shadows & fog effects.
- Trade in raw materials or finished manufactured goods, all within a dynamic evolving economy. Fly the freighters themselves, or their support combat craft, or just sit back and tell them what to do, the choice is yours.
- Over 70 ships to buy and fly, including fighters, cargo ships, transports, passenger liners, corvettes, battleships and carriers (one is over a mile long)! Own and upgrade as many as you like, or can afford, even create an armada of ships and command each either from the helm or from afar.
- Employ a myriad of offensive weaponry, including lasers, missiles, mines, & remote droids. But don't forget the array of defensive options available, including shields, self-repairing hulls, & intercept rockets!