"The wait is just about over for one of the most anticipated console games of 2004," said Michael Lustenberger, director of marketing, Sony Online Entertainment. "With five playable characters, randomly generated dungeons, online co-op action with up to four players and relentless, non-stop action, Champions of Norrath offers an incredible gameplay experience for every type of gamer."
A combination of SOE's expertise in developing fantasy worlds, such as the online gaming phenomenon, EverQuest®, and Snowblind Studios'(developers of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance) experience building high-quality action RPGs, Champions of Norrath will set new standards in the genre. Champions of Norrath features thousands of items, weapons and spells, unparalleled character customization, randomly generated dungeons that create a different and unique gameplay experience with each adventure, online and offline cooperative multiplayer adventuring, and an amazingly detailed 3D engine with multiple camera angles.
Champions of Norrath offers an online multiplayer component at no additional cost to players (Internet connection required for online play. Online connection fees are the responsibility of the user). Up to four players per game can adventure in Norrath over the Internet via broadband connection using the Network Adaptor for the PlayStation 2. Players have the freedom to join an existing game, host their own game, or join/host a private game via SOE's matchmaking service, SOEGames.net. Champions of Norrath offers both USB headset voice chat and keyboard support for players to chat and plan strategies during online play (USB headset/keyboard optional, each sold separately). Alternately, up to four players can use the Multitap (sold separately) to play together on a single PlayStation 2 (sold separately).
About Champions of Norrath
Set several hundred years before the timeline of the current EverQuest PC game, Champions of Norrath allows gamers to adventure as one of five playable characters who must journey from the city of Faydwer into the wilds of Norrath to save the land from a gathering army of evil orcs and goblins. The game offers up to 70 hours of gameplay per character and fierce battles, deadly missions and unmatched character customization.
The game also includes the following features:
- Engrossing fantasy storyline set several hundred years before the current EverQuest PC game -- players do not need to be familiar with EQ lore to enjoy the game
- Five playable characters (both male and female): Select from Barbarian Warrior, Dark Elf Shadow Knight, High Elf Cleric, Erudite Wizard, Wood Elf Ranger
- Thousands of items and magical artifacts to acquire
- More than 10,000 items randomly generated with the ability for players to create their own
- Randomly generated dungeons and monsters mean a different experience every time you play
- Unmatched character customization with modifiable hair, skin, tattoos and facial hair, hundreds of armor variations and thousands of distinctive weapons, including swords, maces, axes, bows and more
- Hundreds of armor variations for a unique look
- Import and download characters via the Memory Card. Player characters can be used for both single-player and multiplayer adventures, allowing players to build up their character both online or offline
- More than 45 levels to conquer with non-linear side quests
- 4 player online cooperative action with USB headset support to chat and plan strategies Conquer enemies with up to 4 players online via SOEGames.net and offline with up to 4 players via the Multitap
- Total camera control, zoom-in up-close or view combat from above
- Fully interactive 3D environments that push the PlayStation capabilities with stunning lighting and visual effects; capable of handling 30 to 40 characters on screen at once in spectacular battles
For more information, visit http://www.championsofnorrath.com.
More articles about Champions of Norrath