Battlefield Vietnam, like its brethren Battlefield games, allows players to join forces on teams in games up to 64 players over the Internet, or jump into single player action. Battlefield Vietnam is being developed by Digital Illusions Canada, a subsidiary of Sweden-based Digital Illusions.
The 1960's were not all about love and peace and Battlefield Vietnam will be no different. Fighting in theatres from jungles surrounding the Ho Chi Minh Trail to the city streets of Hue, players will choose from two well-equipped forces, the United States or North Vietnamese Army (NVA) and Vietcong. To provide players a greater connection to their soldier, players will have the opportunity to select from a variety of soldier character models.
The Vietnam War offered powerful new weaponry and players will have the ability to control a variety of authentic U.S. and NVA vehicles. The workhorse for the U.S. during the Vietnam conflict was the helicopter and it will serve the same purpose in Battlefield Vietnam. Some of the combat vehicles straight from the conflict include the UH-1 Huey helicopter, M551 Sheridan tank, Phantom F-4 jet fighter and CH-47 Chinook transport helicopter and for the NVA the Russian-made T-54 tank, MIG-21 jet fighter, and Mi-8 multipurpose helicopter.
A range of new dramatic battle scenarios might include: leading a squadron of Huey helicopters in an all-out attack on an enemy compound, calling-in or piloting an Phantom F4 jet fighter to unleash napalm on a beachfront fortress, executing an ambush of enemy soldiers from dense foliage, airlifting a tank behind enemy territory, or captaining a PT boat through a dangerous jungle river passage.
- Vehicle passengers will now have the ability to fire weapons while moving
- Airlifting vehicles (tanks, PT boats) will lend to a variety of new strategies
- New ability to select from a variety of characters within the different soldier classes (assault, medic, scout, anti-tank, engineer)
- NVA will have an optional Vietcong soldier "kit" and the engineer will have the ability to plant booby traps
- Operate several hand weapons of war that were available to the US and NVA including the M-16, M-60, and AK-47
- Two UH-1 Huey helicopter types including power-packed Attack and functional Transport
- New secondary explosions triggered if in the vicinity of other combustible objects
- Utilizing all new rendering and sound engines will offer Battlefield fans a new sense of immersion and realism.
More articles about Battlefield: Vietnam