Designed by the legendary Gary Grigsby, who has over twenty-five published wargames under his belt, including Steel Panthers and several more in the Computer Gaming World Hall of Fame, this grand strategy title is designed from the ground up to be an accessible wargame for the casual gamer while remaining realistic enough for the grognard. Developed by the acclaimed 2 by 3 Games team that brought the award-winning Uncommon Valor and War in the Pacific to gamers around the world, Gary Grigsby's World At War is World War II grand strategy done right.
David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said, "We're glad to finally lift the fog of war a bit and let gamers know when to expect this title, which we believe will redefine for players what a grand strategy game should be. We regret having to delay the release date from the original schedule, but the remaining time between now and February will really allow 2 by 3 Games to hone the gameplay and add the final touches that strategy gamers demand."
With Gary Grigsby's World at War, the historical course of World War II may change depending on your choices. If you succeed, the Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances, anything is possible in this new strategic offering.
Lead your armies to victory by honing their abilities in research and development, creating a more powerful force than any other on the planet. Marshal your economic strength to out-produce your enemies. Build with foresight, however; the bigger and more expensive units take longer to build and are invested in over time rather than being an instant purchase. Players have to plan several game turns in advance, tailoring far-reaching strategies to fit the current strategic situation.
Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of: make it happen in Gary Grigsby's World at War. The entire saga of World War II is yours to re-enact or to re-make in your own vision.
- Four full-length scenarios (Spring '40, Summer '41, Spring '42, Summer '43) lasting to the end of the war
- Over 350 areas on a sprawling world map
- Five playable forces (Germany, Japan, the Soviet Union, the Western Allies, and China) and 38 different countries
- Command fifteen different combat units in the air, on the land, and at sea, as well as infrastructure and supply units
- Each unit has up to 14 attributes, most of which can be improved through research and development
- Rules that cover strategic movement, forts, cold weather zones, airborne attack, amphibious invasions, partisans, militia, and many other features
- Fog of War rules that hide enemy units and production
- Supply rules that can be set to provide a common pool for all units to draw from, or the creation of field units that must accompany the armies
- PBEM playability for two to five players
- Challenging AI that offers a unique gaming experience
- Ability to automate either or both the Production and Research functions
- An in-depth tutorial that smoothly integrates the player with the game