"We are extremely excited to bring the grandeur and epic experience of the film Alexander to the video game arena," said Laurent Detoc, executive director of Ubisoft's North American division. "Our development team is thrilled to be working with director Oliver Stone to ensure that the video game captures the essence of this extraordinary motion picture. The game will include selected music from world famous composer Vangelis -- whose music comprises the film's soundtrack -- movie extracts, and other features to make sure that the game is as daring, bold and ambitious as its subject, Alexander the Great."
"Alexander is probably the greatest single military strategist of all time. Historical and 'what if' strategies are being scrupulously rendered by Ubisoft. One variation even has (Persian King) Darius emerging the victor over Alexander. Players will have serious possibilities for winning and losing empires. I'm looking forward to playing," says Stone.
The RTS gameplay in Alexander promises to be challenging enough to entice the hard core gamer, but will also provide a gaming experience accessible to a larger audience of casual gamers. Players will experience the epic scope of Alexander's conquests via historic campaigns, each with unique characteristics and resource management challenges, and featuring heroes from Alexander the Great's era. Players will fight real-time battles using formations, combat and authentic military tactics, while commanding vast armies in foreign lands. Blood will be spilled on the battlefield and honor will be put to the test, as a combination of courage and strategy will determine the victor.
- Authentic heroes:
- Alexander the Great, a dashing warrior king, filled with ambition and courage, led his vastly outnumbered forces against massive armies, conquering 90% of the known world by the age of 25.
- Poros, a feared Indian warlord who led his fearsome elephant cavalry against his enemies.
- Darius, the King of Persia, the ancient world’s largest empire, and commander of its massive army formed from the many people he had conquered.
- Nectanebo, a cunning Egyptian pharaoh renowned for his quick wits.
- Detailed multinational armies/units: Choose between Greek, Persian, Indian and Egyptian armies, each with unique units and abilities, such as Indian war elephants or Persian war camels.
- Breathtaking on-screen scale: An incredible 64,000 units can exist on the battlefield simultaneously, with 8,000 on-screen at once.
- Manage a massive empire:
- Control forces on land and at sea.
- 120 unique buildings.
- Unlimited natural resources.
- A variety of distinctive terrains.
- Relive Alexander the Great’s campaign: Step into the shoes of one of history’s most luminous and influential leaders and win epic battles and exciting missions.
- A multitude of objectives: Use strategy, courage, and formation tactics to achieve your goals in a wide variety of single-player and multiplayer missions.
More articles about Alexander