Resident Evil Outbreak tells the dramatic story of an outbreak caused by a secret biological weapon infecting the people of Raccoon City. Citizens are turning into flesh-eating zombies that swarm the streets. Players wage war against the pharmaceutical giant, Umbrella, who is responsible for the events leading up to this disaster. In the shadow of this nightmare are a few desperate survivors. They must find a way to get out of the city before the government quarantines the entire area by firing a missile and destroying all proof of existence. Players must beat the clock or die trying.
“Resident Evil Outbreak marks the return of the award-winning and multi-million unit selling Resident Evil franchise to the PlayStation 2,” said Todd Thorson, director of marketing, Capcom USA. “With the release of this innovative title, Capcom delivers a new gaming experience that expands the possibilities of the franchise and the survival horror genre itself.”
Resident Evil Outbreak retains the signature Resident Evil storytelling, visuals, and bone-chilling audio that Capcom’s survival-horror fans demand. The game introduces an all-new story, an assortment of new playable characters, and dozens of non-player characters (NPC’s). Players can experience the horror with up to four concurrent players in network mode or one-player accompanied by two computer AI characters in single player off-line mode. By cooperating with and helping fellow characters, players work together to advance through a variety of scenarios as they try to escape the city.
Among the many features Resident Evil Outbreak will deliver are:
- Unique cast of eight playable characters – all are ordinary residents in Raccoon City, each with different strengths, special abilities and perspectives of the storyline
- Five unique scenarios
- A variety of non-playable characters (NPC’s) encountered throughout each scenario
- More freedom than past Resident Evil games with multiple options for progressing through levels
- Two control schemes – D-pad for classic Resident Evil fans and new analog option for Devil May Cry type control
- More than 260 special items scattered throughout the game
- Random, unpredictable placement of enemies that changes players’ experiences
- Result point system which can be used to unlock items in the extensive collection mode including unlockable characters, art gallery and more
- Ability to play as a zombie once virus gauge reaches 100%, in network mode
- Use of ordinary items as weapons such as brooms and pipes
- In-depth profile which tracks player statistics including play time, types of weapons used, distance walked and more
- HDD hard drive support enhances gameplay