This marketing relationship will utilize both traditional and non-traditional marketing vehicles to support both the May 11 launch of the TRANSFORMERS game and the DROPBOX album release on April 13. The campaign will include the utilization of DROPBOX performance footage and the TRANSFORMERS game footage in the band's forthcoming new video and Atari's TV advertising spot; radio advertising, in addition to TV; online street teams; and live performances.
"The high level of collaboration between Atari and Universal Motown Records Group enables both companies to significantly extend the effectiveness and reach of their marketing efforts," said Nancy MacIntyre, vice president of marketing for Atari. "DROPBOX and the TRANSFORMERS game are already generating significant buzz with their respective core audiences, and this partnership should serve to attract new fans to both."
Elements expected to be included in this joint campaign include:
- DROPBOX's debut single, "Wishbone," as well as the band's recording of its version of the TRANSFORMERS theme song will be available in the game as un-lockable bonus tracks;
- DROPBOX's new music video for "Wishbone," shot by award-winning director, Nigel Dick, and produced by Quentin Tarantino's production company, A Band Apart, will feature TRANSFORMERS game footage;
- A TRANSFORMERS brochure will be included in 1 million Universal Records music CDs;
- Atari's TRANSFORMERS TV commercial will highlight the "Wishbone" sound track and portions of the band's music video;
- DROPBOX will be included in Atari's national print advertising campaign for the TRANSFORMERS game;
- The DROPBOX multi-city promotional radio tour will include mention of its tie-in with Atari's TRANSFORMERS video game;
- Atari's in-store TRANSFORMERS videos will feature DROPBOX's "Wishbone" single and its version of the TRANSFORMERS theme song;
- Universal will develop and produce key account radio commercials which will include a TRANSFORMERS tag;
- A fully integrated on-air and online promotion with the FUSE music video network will include:
- A live appearance by DROPBOX on the live daily show "IMX" that will also feature behind-the-scenes footage from the filming of the music video;
- An online campaign including the IMX "Daily Download" and a promotional contest;
- Atari will include DROPBOX content on its TRANSFORMERS website located at www.atari.com/transformers and Universal will utilize online street teams and other online vehicles in support of the Transformers game and DROPBOX;
To kick off this relationship, DROPBOX celebrated with video game media at Atari's TRANSFORMERS preview event in February. In anticipation of the formal agreement, public relations and promotional initiatives for the making of the DROPBOX music video featuring Transformers video game footage are moving forward as well as additional retail and consumer outreach.
"Atari and Universal Motown Records Group are respected industry leaders and it is fitting that such a collaborative effort comes from two such vanguards," said Kojo Bentel, SVP of Strategic Marketing and Business Development, Universal Motown Records Group. "Music has become a crucial element of the video game experience and DROPBOX's raw, rock sound is a perfect fit for Atari's TRANSFORMERS game."