David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said, "We're delighted that Battles in Normandy will be the next installment in the Decisive Battles line. SSG has created in this series one of the best wargame designs to come along in quite a while and it is more than deserving of continued development and attention."
Battles in Normandy is based on the design and engine that propelled Korsun Pocket to several outstanding reviews, including "Wargame of the Year 2003" by Computer Gaming World with the comments: "Korsun Pocket is arguably the best traditional hex-based wargame of all time. ... Korsun Pocket manages to keep the historical accuracy and depth of play found in other wargames while presenting all of the charts and information in clear and easy to understand terms (the eight-step tutorial is nothing short of spectacular). For those reasons alone, Korsun Pocket is the runaway winner of wargame of the year - and ranks among the best in the genre of all-time." Needless to say, Battles in Normandy includes many improvements to that base engine, including an improved interface, a new AI system, support for additional resolutions and a host of new systems to handle every aspect of the historical Normandy campaign.
Gregor Whiley of Strategic Studies Group noted, "We have built a strong relationship with Matrix Games through our work on Korsun Pocket and Across the Dnepr, both of which have been warmly welcomed by wargamers around the world. We are very pleased to continue that relationship and the Decisive Battles series through Battles In Normandy."
Battles In Normandy is scheduled for release in Summer 2004 and will be available via Matrix Games Digital Express product line.
- New game engine with improved user interface
- New AI system
- New user friendly game and map editor
- Multiple resolution support
- Special rules for Amphibious and Airborne operations
- Extensive Rollover Help function
- Carpet Bombing
- Naval Bombardment
- Mulberries (Artificial Harbors)
- Bridge building, minefield and strongpoint creation
- New supply rules
- New rules for anti-aircraft and anti-partisan operations
- New options for hidden units
- New rules for extended movement and refitting units
- Auto email and security functions for PBEM games
- Extensive Tournament and Handicapping options for PBEM games
- Evolved Units can change their characteristics mid-game
More articles about Battles In Normandy