The Chronicles Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay will blend action and stealth elements, as players navigate Riddick through the harsh environments of the slam - dank tunnels, dimly lit corridors, and other hazardous areas filled with guards, savage inmates and deadly creatures that prowl the darkness. Developed by Starbreeze Studios, and published by Vivendi Universal Games in association with Vin Diesel's Tigon Studios, the game has been rated “M” by the ESRB and is expected to ship in June 2004 at a suggested retail price of $49.95.
In the game, Richard B. Riddick is an intergalactic convict who at the game's start, finds himself captured by mercenaries and locked down in the toughest prison in the galaxy. As this least likely of heroes, players must draw on their character's brains and brutality and attempt the unthinkable - escape from Butcher Bay. Played from a primarily first-person perspective (with special third- person actions), players will have to make maximum use of their environments to achieve their escape, including using shadows, subterfuge and distractions to avoid patrols. Moving and attacking in darkness is particularly effective for Riddick as his haunting "eye shine" gives him the ability to see without ambient light. However, stealth won't serve every situation and players will be able to take the action up close and personal. As Riddick, players will be able to sneak up behind enemies and snap necks or fight face to face using fists, elbows and grapples. Additionally, players will be able to capture weapons such as shanks, shotguns, or assault rifles and use these to cut a swath of destruction through anyone who gets in their way.
- Enjoy a richly detailed early chapter in the Chronicles of Riddick saga, and learn about his adventures in Butcher Bay - the highest security prison in the known cosmos.
- More than 30 levels set across three unique Maxium Security, Double-Max, and Triple-Max prison areas.
- More than 20 different types of enemies unique to each area of the game.
- More than 15 different weapons that players can use to escape from Butcher Bay, including rusty home-made shivs, and high-powered Assault Rifles.
- Features stunning-heart-pounding-action and amazing sequences that unfold right before your eyes.
- Welcome to First-Person Fighting! Use your fists, unique punches and manuevers, combos, and grizzly prison weaponry, to battle unique opponents in hand-to-hand bloody combat.
- Bleeding-edge technology features like per-pixel shading/dynamic lighting, normal mapping, and realistic shadows.
- Enjoy realistic physics as enemies react uniquely to gun-fire and knock around at your command via high-tech ragdoll behavior.
- State-of-the-art Animation technology including awesome motion capture and advanced facial animation.
- Featuring the likeness and voice talent of Vin Diesel as Riddick.
- Also featuring the voice talents of Cole Hauser as Johns, Kristen Lehman as Shirah, Ron Perlman as Jagger Valance, and Willis Burks II as Pope Joe.
More articles about The Chronicles Of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay