"We are sure that XEd will have a long lasting impact on the fan base of Ground Control II and are extremely excited about seeing what our creative fans will be able to accomplish. We are seeing XEd as an integral part of our game and will hold regular contests for map creation as well as support modding as much as we can. We want the gamers to be able to create their own Ground Control Universe and our intuitive interface will make it less of a challenge to accomplish this and more fun to build maps and missions. We want them to be able to focus on the creative part and not struggle with the editor's design. I am eager to see what they will come up with" says Mattias Paulsson, a.k.a Peen, the creator of the XEd editor.
XEd Features :
- Complete mission editor:
- Terrain editing, terrain texturing, props placing and game scripting, all integrated into one easy-to-use and powerful software package.
- Full 3D:
- XEd uses the same 3D engine used by the game. This allows for a very easy workflow where everything is done directly in the 3D world. The full free camera movement and previews of weather effects makes the editor fully “What You See Is What You Get”.
- Terrain Editing:
- Edit the terrain in real-time with the manual tools or generate a highly realistic terrain using the built-in fractal terrain generator.
- Easy point and click interface:
- Place/rotate and move props, agents and sounds with an easy mouse click. Simple and intuitive.
- Automatic splat script texturing:
- Realistic texturing is automatically as the terrain is manipulated. Tools for manual texture painting are also included. Using the manual tools textures can be blended seamlessly together to create an almost infinite number of new combinations.
- Height map generator:
- Use the built-in fractal heightmap generator for truly realistic terrain. Combine 4 different algorithms and a set of filters to create anything from canyons to volcanic islands. Presets can be saved, loaded and shared with your friends.
- Easy sound implementation:
- Place environmental 3D positioned sounds easy using the point and click interface. Soundtracks and cutscene dialog is easily scripted with the gamescript editor.
XEd will be included in the retail version of Ground Control II. Read more about it on the www.GroundControl2.com website.