Way of the Samurai 2 is set during feudal era Japan at the end of the Edo period, in the conflict laden town of Amahara. A once peaceful town, Amahara has become the center of a tense conflict between two powerful forces at the expense of its innocent townspeople. The Amahara magistrate office, which once upheld peace and justice, has succumbed to the suppression ideology of the rising feudal government and has become an extreme tyrannical force that rules the innocent townsfolk. They are at odds with a rogue group of warriors known as the Aoto gang. Like the magistrate office, this group had long represented values of loyalty and chivalry, but the death of their former leader left them vulnerable. Several would-be successors began claiming rights to leadership and the gang soon transformed into an uncontrollable group of arrogant and violent vigilantes that terrorize the defenseless citizens of Amahara.
Way of the Samurai was marked by its open-ended gameplay and the sequel not only continues this formula but expands upon it. In Way of the Samurai 2, players take on the role of a wandering samurai who has come upon the conflicted town of Amahara during his travels. Instead of a two day period as in the original, players will proceed in a deeper ten day adventure where they explore the town and become entwined in its turmoil. How the main character chooses to proceed through the game and which people he chooses to help or fight will determine the subsequent storyline and consequences for the people around him. Players must prove their sword fighting skills in heated confrontations, interact with a wide spectrum of characters and explore various locales throughout the town.
Way of the Samurai 2 includes the following features:
- Realistic sword fighting action based on traditional Japanese samurai films – dodge and slash attacks from multiple enemies in thrilling battles
- Outcomes determined by the choices a player makes – how a player chooses to proceed will affect those around him, change how people react to him and lead to different scenarios and endings
- Choose to play as one of three different samurai “types”
- Young male – a wandering samurai who has been weathered by many rough experiences
- Fierce warrior – a true fighter adorned with animal skins and tattered clothing
- Master – a modest and controlled swords expert
- New sword positions and fighting techniques – twin sword style, quick slash and more!
- More than 400 special moves - kick, throw and defend moves that vary depending on the weapon used
- Upgrade and collect more than 60 swords - defeat enemies to obtain more powerful swords, strengthen blades at the blacksmith and master new techniques as you advance through the game
- New one slash kill system – knock an enemy off balance with a hard attack or counter attack, then finish them off with a one slash hit; this system allows you to slash numerous enemies in a row
- More interactive setting – visit shops, talk to locals and earn money through jobs or tasks
- Purchase and find an array of collectors items throughout the game
Developed by Acquire, the creators of the Tenchu series and published by Spike in Japan, Way of the Samurai 2 is now available at retailers across North America. The game carries an “M” rating for mature audiences by the ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board).
More articles about Way Of The Samurai 2