The Getaway: Black Monday is the highly anticipated sequel to the worldwide bestseller and "Greatest Hits" title, The Getaway, which fuses gaming and cinematic storytelling into a one-of-a-kind interactive entertainment experience. Developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's Team Soho, The Getaway: Black Monday builds on the digitally replicated 25 square miles of London and delves deeper into the seedy underground for the ultimate gangland thriller.
Giving gamers a refined and enriched gameplay experience for the sequel, The Getaway: Black Monday offers more predictable driving and on-foot controls, huge variety in mission types with free roaming gameplay, and new characters. Classic and contemporary cinematic methods were used in game development; from atmospheric lighting, sound and set design to a director working with a cast of more than 20 actors who were motion-captured as they acted out scenes surrounding the organized crime rings in London. The Getaway: Black Monday leaves it up to the player to decide how to play and how the story ends, from choosing how to complete missions, to deciding how to get to the next real London location.
In The Getaway: Black Monday, the narrative will progress backward and forward in time, both in gameplay and movie sequences. One story unfolds from three unique perspectives, as the paths of the characters entwine. The story begins with a chain of events that takes place two years after the demise of the most notorious crime boss of London's East End, Charlie Jolson. A simple bank job goes wrong – a small-time thug gets in way over his head and a cop is out for revenge – sending two sides of the same tale into a collision course for an explosive showdown. By choosing which path to take, players will make critical decisions that influence the final outcome of the game.
- The Getaway: Black Monday combines cinematic narrative with driving and shooting missions in the gritty streets of London, updated with 17 new landmarks/city locations, including portions of the "Underground" subway system and the Thames River.
- Explore the ultra-realistic city of London where interior, exterior and narrative sequences blend together seamlessly in one continuous experience.
- Three new playable characters, Mitch, Eddie and Sam, each with their own skills, abilities, attitude and motivations.
- One story is told from three different perspectives, but ultimately the player decides how the story ends as they play through 22 missions. Finding the best way to get to and complete the next job requires brains as well as brawn.
- A more predictable control system, both on-foot and driving, deliver unparalleled fluidity and control over the playable character.
- All new cast of more than 20 actors whose performances were motion-captured for the digital The Getaway: Black Monday underworld.
- Gamers can choose from a variety of new vehicles including motorcycles, buses, vans, taxis and more, to steal, drive and crash, experiencing re-defined physics and damage models.
- New interiors of buildings and interactive objects in the story mode; explore old locations in free-roaming mode and unlock more bonus game modes.
- Team Soho has built on its "talking heads" technology (a facial animation system that creates real-time facial animations while simultaneously synching voiceover), as well as implementing "rag doll" death animations to deliver hyper-realistic characters.
- The branching narrative moves backward and forward in time through gameplay and movie sequences, offering multiple story endings.
- Utilize high-powered weaponry including pistols, automatic weapons, and shotguns as well as brutal melee weapons for close combat.
- The mature script, compelling cut scenes and distinct editing add another layer of sophistication to deliver a heightened movie-goer's experience in a videogame.