Amidst a world in crisis, at a time where the mighty continent and the once-vast oceans are a mere legend, players take the role of a guardian spirit that advises and guides Kalas, the story's hero, throughout his expedition. The story unfolds as Kalas meets up with an unlikely companion, Xelha, and the two embark on a quest to overcome a conspiracy for power that threatens to lead the world to its final destruction.
"The beautiful graphics, brilliant 3D character designs by Nakaba Higurashi and unique turn-based battle system sets Baten Kaitos apart from other games in the RPG genre," said Rod Nakamoto, executive vice president of research and development at Namco Hometek Inc. "We're looking forward to giving gamers the chance to experience the adventure first-hand when it hits the U.S. market this fall."
Baten Kaitos features an intense and extraordinary "Magnus" card-based RPG battle and item system that allows players to capture the essence of certain objects, weapons and spells to reproduce them during combat, healing, solving puzzles and more. Additionally, the more than 1,000 types of "Magnus" cards can age through time: foods will ripen or rot and items will rust, gain or lose value with age. This fast-paced and intuitive battle system gives players a simplistic, yet in depth game play experience never before seen within the RPG genre.
Breathtaking graphics help illustrate the mystical nature of the game's environments including a kingdom in the clouds protected by knights, a city of illusion that shifts between dimensions, a nation of rainbows protected by a magical shield and many other fantastic sub-worlds.
- An intense and unconventional card-based RPG battle system with over 1000 types of "Magnus" cards (each with its own unique artwork) that can be combined.
- Capture the essence of certain items and entrap them within blank magnus cards, then reproduce them during combat, healing, solving puzzles, and more.
- Magnus cards age through time: foods will ripen or rot, items will rust, gain or lose value with age.
- Experience shocking story development as you control a spirit that guides and advises Kalas throughout his journey. Enter a world overflowing with character detail, emotion, and expression.
- Players will be in awe of incredible graphics – including sub-worlds, towns, villages, cities, and even weather patterns bursting with amazing color and detail.
- 3D Character designs by Asami Fujita. Brilliant soothing soundtrack composed by Motoi Sakuraba.
More articles about Baten Kaitos