War on Terror brings modern precision-strike warfare to real-time gaming. At the dawn of the new century, peace is a forgotten relic of the past. Secret terrorist groups, united into a single deadly force, have launched lethal assaults in major metropolitan areas around the globe. Their agenda is unknown; their attacks are precise and deadly. In December 2006, a multinational strike force called The World Forces is created to stop this threat. Its first mission, Operation Kimberly, is a failure, and China decides to follow its own policy against terrorism. It is now up to the player to destroy the terrorist threat and set a new course for decades of peace.
War on Terror is a Real-Time Strategy game which lets the player command 3 different factions (World Forces, China, The Order) in a near-future anti-terrorist war. Tactics are the key to progressing through the game; to manage in-game reinforcements, and make units gain experience.
Players engage in 26 missions, across 3 challenging campaigns. Missions take place in cities, in the jungle, in snowy wastelands and in the desert. Over 60 different units are available for the player to command, all wonderfully detailed. Units are able to gain experience; and they have over 70 skills at their disposal. Skills are grouped as special attack, special defence, detection, stealth, repair or heal. Through these, units are given a degree of individualism and become valued components of a cohesive fighting machine; not cannon fodder. Reinforcements can be called into the war zone, to bolster forces, giving the player that extra push to achieve the objectives.
Cutting edge 3D technology provides the game with natural looking landscapes and water, beautiful dynamic lighting and shadow effects, deferred shading, detailed damage models, realistic unit animations and movement, and breathtaking special effects such as normal mapping and glow. Weather effects interact with the game play (lower sight in fog), and also real line of sight (larger obstacles will count in visibility). A secondary render window allows picture in picture technology. The overall effect is stunning and must be seen to be believed.
- REAL WORLD SETTINGS well known locations, believable storyline
- 3 DIFFERENT FACTIONS for a varied game play (World Forces / The Order / Chinese)
- VARIETY OF UNITS: control a total of over 60 different and specialized units; infantry, vehicles, armoured combat vehicles, artillery, helicopters and air support
- VARIETY OF SKILLS: each unit may have up to 3 passive skills and 3 active skills among a total of 70+ different ones
- RICH SINGLE PLAYER EXPERIENCE: the campaign mode spans 3 campaigns and 26 missions ranging from assault missions to defensive and counter attack
- ARMY MANAGEMENT: before each mission, players organise their army and choose with units to lead on the battlefield (based on mission points)
- DEEP MULTIPLAYER GAMING EXPERIENCE: 20 multiplayer maps are open to battle for up to 8 players. 6 different modes (Conquer/Capture the flag/Steal the flag/Convoy/King of the hill/Survive) and skirmish mode (Conquer and Death Match). Random multiplayer map generator. Game features GameSpy support
- MAP AND MISSION EDITOR: design single and multiplayer maps
- CUTTING EDGE 3D TECHNOLOGY
The WAR on TERROR will commence from March 2006. Stand and be counted. Make the difference.
More articles about War on Terror