BLACK is developed by Criterion Games, the studio that created the groundbreaking Burnout franchise. When Burnout hit the streets it injected a new lease of life and visceral quality into a genre obsessed with realism and simulation. One of the core aims of BLACK is give the FPS genre a similar dose of the Criterion touch.
BLACK doesn’t contain stealth sections and it doesn’t contain complex squad based commands. It is crammed with beautifully crafted iconic firearms, advanced destructive environments and the most intense firefights every seen in a video game. BLACK breaks down the genre to its bare bones and builds it back up again using Hollywood as its inspiration. Action blockbusters of the 80s and 90s provide the benchmark for aesthetics and effects and BLACK sets out to recreate this experience within a video game.
Every bullet fired in BLACK has a destination. When it reaches that destination it has an effect. To create this sense of Hollywood realism these effects must be turned up to 11. Chunks get torn from buildings, plumes of dust emanate from destroyed concrete, pillars deform from constant gunfire and signposts collapse from their bindings. This level of destruction is not just a visual feast, it’s a combat advantage. If an enemy is positioned underneath a signpost, open fire on the structure and the signpost will collapse onto them. If a soldier is standing by a concrete pillar, blast the pillar and kill the enemy with the falling debris.
The opportunities are rife and the level of satisfaction is high.
Join the world’s most brutal and enigmatic strike force. The BLACK tactical squad operates under the cloak of complete anonymity and deniability to protect the US from threats foreign and domestic. It answers to no one, allowing it to carry out brutal and overt operations around the globe. From manipulating politicians to controlling intelligence networks and militaries, BLACK operatives are trained at the highest level in psychological warfare, espionage, and lethal arts. Go deep into the world of clandestine warfare as you use any means necessary to get the job done.
- Overt Action—BLACK operatives do not hide in shadows or sneak behind walls waiting for the right time to engage their foe—they destroy the wall, the enemy, and anything else that gets in their way.
- The Guns Are the Stars—An explosive arsenal of bleeding-edge weaponry lets you experience the awe-inspiring power of the world’s most exotic lethal firepower.
- If You Can See It, You Can Shoot It—Reduce cities to rubble in a world where virtually nothing is impervious to your bullets.
- Get Your Blood Pumping—Adrenaline is your friend. Visceral, destructive action sucks you deep into the gameplay as you blaze and blast your own path through open-ended environments.
- BLACK-Style Kills—Use destructible worlds and explosive objects to take out enemies in cover, frag multiple enemies at once, or just wreak massive destruction for its own sake.
More articles about Black