“We are pleased and proud to take part in this international adventure and EuropaCorp’s forthcoming film. ‘Arthur and the Minimoys’ is sure to be an animation blockbuster. Technology will really bring out the sensitivity and energy of the world Luc Besson has created. By working with the film crew from day one, not only have we stayed extremely faithful to the film, but we have also developed parallel adventures specifically for the game, which should be popular with the public,” said Atari Group Chairman Bruno Bonnell.
“When you make a children’s film, your primary intent is to introduce kids to a new world that is both fantastic and exciting. Atari’s video game will keep the film’s adventure alive by allowing players to step into the characters’ shoes to explore and try to save the world of the Minimoys,” said Luc Besson, director of the film ‘Arthur and the Minimoys’.
The game allows players to relive the fantastic adventure of young Arthur and his two pals, Selenia and Bétamèche, in their mission to save the Minimoys’ world from destruction. The game will incorporate Besson’s entire Minimoy universe and its tiny inhabitants (just a couple of millimetres tall) with the richness and extraordinary visuals of the film.
The unique and innovative game concept revolves around the teamwork of the trio (Arthur, Selenia and Bétamèche): players can only progress by cleverly combining the three characters’ skills. In solving mysteries and overcoming obstacles, players will realize that anything is possible when you work together.
‘Arthur and the Minimoys’ in a nutshell:
- Originally a four-volume literary adventure written by Luc Besson, with more than 950,000 books sold in France alone, and translations into over twenty different languages
- The highest budget ever for a European animated film ($85 million)
- It is currently being filmed using three technologies (2D, 3D and real film footage) and a unique graphical style that is groundbreaking in the world of animation
- The film will be distributed in more than 40 countries, including the United States, Europe and Asia
- A $125 million global advertising campaign will support the film launch
- Voices and original music for the film by internationally renowned artists including David Bowie, Madonna, and Snoop Dogg.
Arthur and the Minimoys the game is currently in development for PlayStation2, PSP, Nintendo DS, Game Boy Advance, and the Windows platform, and is planned for European release simultaneously with the film at the end of 2006.