Building upon the roots of the franchise, World Tour Soccer 2006, provides gamers with a familiar yet enhanced gameplay experience, complete with even more features, players, teams and stadiums. Highlighted by more than 935 international and club teams from around the globe, along with an astounding 19,000 FIFPro licensed players from 32 different leagues, eight international tournaments and 28 unique stadiums, the global game of soccer has been recreated with exceptional detail in order to capture its enormous scope and popularity.
To enhance the experience on the virtual pitch, World Tour Soccer 2006 features EyeToy functionality and the all-new Digimask technology. Utilizing the EyeToy USB camera (for PlayStation 2), sold separately, gamers can take snapshots of themselves and literally get into the game. Once the player has taken their self-portraits, Digimask technology converts the high-resolution images of a gamer's head into a full 3D model so that they can personally battle against the world's best.
World Tour Soccer 2006, the most realistic soccer simulation to date, allows gamers to choose from multiple modes of play including Exhibition Match, Season, Career and Challenge Mode, giving players the option of playing a quick game or the opportunity to play out a grueling season where they'll have to manage player contracts, trades, salary caps and injuries.
Additionally, World Tour Soccer 2006 offers hard-core soccer enthusiasts a Competition Mode, in which players can create their own Custom Cup or Custom League to their exact specifications, all while highlighting their own Custom Team. With successful play, gamers will be able to unlock hidden teams, stadiums, and cheats to help fill up their trophy cabinet with any of the 49 available trophies.
World Tour Soccer 2006 sets the bar for unmatched play options and realism. An enhanced Artificial Intelligence (AI) brings a new level of authenticity to life during shots on goals, defensive tackles and countless other moves during matches, while new animations, passionate celebrations, enhanced lighting effects and the option of having broadcasters announce in four different languages, will have fans screaming, "goal!"
- New EyeToy Functionality – Now when gamers get in the game, they’re really getting into the game by utilizing an EyeToy USB camera to take a snapshot of themselves, put their face into the game and truly become a professional soccer player. World Tour Soccer 2006 uses Digimask ™ technology to covert high-resolution images of a gamer’s head to create a full 3D model.
- All The Teams and Players From Across The Globe – With more than 19,000 actual FIFPro licensed players, 935 league, club and international teams, and 28 unique stadiums, gamers can play as or against all the world’s greatest teams and/or players. Gamers can play 23 club seasons in any of the 32 leagues and compete in eight international tournaments.
- Comprehensive set of Gameplay Options – With a multitude of game modes to choose from, World Tour Soccer 2006, has the competition variety that the soccer fan is looking for. From a quick one-off match to a grueling season long campaign, how you play soccer is up to you. Successful soccer play will unlock hidden items including, teams, stadiums and cheats to aid in filling up the trophy cabinet.
- Exhibition Match – Choose a team and quickly get on the pitch and play a match.
- New Cup – Play for the most prestigious international prizes, complete with qualifying rounds, or take on the greatest teams from the past in the Time Warp Cup. Gamers can even create their own Custom Cups.
- New League – Gamers can create a custom league to their exact specifications, take on soccer history’s best teams in Time Warp League, or if up to the challenge, there is Superteam Championship comprised of the best of the best from this all-star competition.
- Season – Pick a team from 31 domestic leagues from 23 nations and play for club glory. In addition to regular league and club fixtures, gamers can also qualify for continental and global club competitions as they play through the years and even improve their team in the Transfer Market to keep from being relegated to a lower division.
- Career Mode – Gamers can customize a team’s uniforms, flags, players, coach and tactics, then guide a school team through the years as they sharpen their soccer skills from the playgrounds all the way to international stardom.
- Competition Mode – Lets gamers create a New Cup, League and/or Season; take on the best teams from the past; or start a career from beginning to end in Career Mode.
- Challenge Mode – Lets gamers play a one-off match that pitts them against extremely tough opposition where goals aren’t the only way the score is kept. Gamers will be awarded points for stylish play, successful passing and well-timed tackles. Sloppy, poor play, however, will result in a lower score. Additionally, gamers can compare their scores with others and sharpen their skills.
- New Game Design – Utilizing an enhanced Artificial Intelligence (AI), soccer action takes on a whole new level of reality as teams play in a more unpredictable manner. Whether it’s the timing of a shot, placement of a shot on goal, defensive tackles or a full array of other moves, World Tour Soccer 2006 takes soccer AI to a whole new level.
- Game Interface / Controls – Power or finesse, World Tour Soccer 2006 puts the gamer in control. Depending on the situation, gamers can choose to power the ball past a wall of defenders by bending the kick, or they can use the icon passing system to have a striker make a run and volley the ball into the back of the net. With its free kick interface, World Tour Soccer 2006 allows gamers to change the flow and momentum of the game.
- Enhanced Presentation – World Tour Soccer 2006 features new animations, passionate celebrations, TV-style presentation with increased in-game commentary, enhanced lighting effects, new cut-scenes, and smoother game play giving delivering the look, feel and passion that core soccer fans expect from their sport.
- Soccer Authenticity – World Tour Soccer 2006 delivers authentic soccer action to the PlayStation 2.
- Team Style of Play – The teams in World Tour Soccer 2006 play like their real life counterparts. Thanks to a sophisticated new AI system, the French national team will play elegant and smooth soccer while the Italian squad will play with strong possession.
- Stadiums – With, immaculately detailed stadiums from across the globe that were designed by the internationally famous architectural company HOK Sport, who are responsible for the design of Sydney Olympic Stadium, Millennium Stadium and more, each stadium in World Tour Soccer 2006 is visually stunning and accurately recreated right down to the tinniest detail.
- Crowds – Crowd chants have been sampled from over 200 club and international teams and the colors and flags from the battling teams are represented in the frenzied seats.
- Choose Your Language – Give a match an international flair with four different languages to choose from. Announcers can broadcast your game in English, French, Italian, and Spanish.