This spring, gamers can take their hockey game on the road and play anytime, anywhere with Gretzky NHL for the PSP handheld entertainment system. Officially licensed by the NHL and NHLPA, Gretzky NHL for the PSP features fast-paced skating, precision passing, bone-jarring checks and players that convey the power and emotion of their sport. To challenge the skill levels of all hockey videogame fans, Gretzky NHL for the PSP offers the Gretzky Challenge with unlockable, playable Gretzkys from his days as an Edmonton Oiler, Los Angeles King or New York Ranger. Additionally, hockey fans can play a quick game in either Quick Start or Exhibition Mode, act as owners in Season Mode, or compete locally against friends or other hockey fans in head-to-head play via wireless multiplayer connectivity. By combining authentic gameplay, intuitive play controls and an enhanced presentation with the fast, fluid, hard-hitting intensity of arcade style play, Gretzky NHL for the PSP delivers the look, feel and passion of hockey and provides gamers with a true-to-life simulation.
- Modes of Play
- Quick Game – Artificial Intelligence (AI) picks evenly matched teams at random for a quick game on the go.
- Exhibition – Gamers can select their favorite team and face off any NHL rivalry.
- Season Mode – Assume the role of GM and the responsibility of franchise ownership including the ability to draft, sign and trading players including players from AHL teams and then play the regular 82 game season. After the regular season, advance to the playoffs as one of the top 8 teams in each conference, play on and be crowned as the Stanley Cup champion.
- Online Mode – Gamers can compete locally against friends or other hockey fans in head-to-head play via wireless multiplayer connectivity.
- Gretzky Challenge – Through successful gameplay, gamers can earn points by breaking Gretzky’s actual NHL records and utilize those points to unlock hidden items including jerseys, teams and playable Gretzkys from his days as a member of the Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers.
- Innovative NHL Gameplay – Utilize the shot aiming option to guide the puck past the tenacious goaltender. Set up the perfect one-timer with the give and go and load up a slap shot and try to beat the goalie with the slap shot meter. Adapt to game situations on the go with on-the-fly play calling.
- NHL, NHLPA & AHL Licensed – Play as or against all 30 NHL teams with all the players and arenas. Play with roughly 400 of the AHL’s top hockey players and put those AHL players on to a NHL team.