For the first time in a racing game, players must improve their skills as drivers instead of modifying their cars, making the ability to match a set of skills to the different requirements of each competition just as much an important part of winning the race.
In addition to choosing their favourite Alfa Romeo, players will be given the opportunity to choose their own race gear which will best improve their performance, as well as tune the levels of each of their different skills which will include: reflexes, hand-eye coordination, and their ability to cope with the stress of racing high speed circuits. Another unique skill is the Tiger Effect, which will give drivers the ability to turn back time and correct any potentially dangerous mistakes.
In SCAR, AI competitors are also based on a complex combination of skills and features which come together to form an opponent best adapted to the cars, course, and player, giving rise to countless alternative outcomes. The actual skill system is based on nine different abilities, divided into three tiers of experience.
Skill sets include:
- Heart: Increases driver's basic health capacity (Driver Condition).
- Vision: Increases Tiger Effect capacity for Driver.
- Intimidation: Ability to intimidate other drivers and cause them to make mistakes.
- Handling: Improves effective vehicle grip and Driver's ability to handle the car
- Acceleration: Increases overall acceleration and reduces gearshift time.
- Recovery: Reduces effects of vehicle crashes and effects.
- Focus: Allows Driver to reduce Condition damage to car and self.
- Anticipation: Improves the Tiger Effect's duration and potency.
- Endurance: Driver's basic healing rate. Improves Driver Condition regeneration rate.
A variety of different courses means that players will have the chance to compete on both race-circuits and in Fast & Furious street races across exotic Italian locales which range form the Tuscany hills to the Naples seaside, or battling it out in the streets of Florence and Milan.
In the management part, the player will be distributing skill points to develop his driver according to the different races, purchasing new vehicles, accepting or declining various offers from different sponsors, visiting the test track, as well as tuning and maintaining his own collection of vehicles.
Milestone have also developed an innovative AI system that adjusts the performance according to that of the player, requiring them to distribute skills and gain points in the same way. In fact, during any race, the cars will engage in a compelling duel to beat each other and achieve maximum skill points.
Finally, remaining true to Alfa Romeo style, the music is 100% Italian style remixes of the original Ennio Morricone songs to give the final touch of flavour to this highly anticipated game from Milestone.
SCAR will be available in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish for PS2 and PC platforms towards May 2005, followed by Xbox version.
More articles about SCAR: Squadra Corse Alfa Romeo