To install FarCry, insert the FarCry CD 1 into your CD-ROM drive. If your computer is AutoPlay capable, a FarCry splash screen will appear. Select "Install" from the list and follow the on-screen instructions.
If your computer is not AutoPlay capable, open the "My Computer" icon found on your desktop or Start button. Open the drive letter that corresponds to your CD-ROM drive; double-click the "Install" icon; and follow the on-screen instructions.
Campaign: Click here to start the game
Options: Click here to choose options
Multiplayer: Click here to play online
Mods: Click here to load a MOD
Quit: Click here to quit the game.
Patch 1.3 & 1.31 & 1.32
Patch 1.32 change log
* Fixed a Shader Model 3.0 issue that caused graphics corruption on new ATI hardware.
* Set the game to detect nVidia hardware to avoid shaders being compiled at run time.
* Recompiled the 32bit version with a different version of STL to address some server slowdowns.
* Fixed a video playback issue to ensure compatibility with MOD SDK dll code.
* Fixed server issues when the server type was changed during a running game.
* Fixed potential crash when using RCON to start a new level.
Patch 1.31 change log
* Fixed an exploit where going prone while carrying scoped weapons disables weapon sway.
Patch 1.3 known issues
* Save games created with the recalled patch (1.2) are not compatible with patch 1.3.
* Users with ATI Catalyst 4.9 drivers may experience some graphical anomalies when lighting quality is set to high. If this occurs either set Lighting Quality to Medium or Texture Quality to Low. Alternatively use ATI Catalyst 4.3 drivers.
* Connecting to LAN games via the connect console variable does not always work. Users should connect to LAN games using the LAN menu only.
* Windows 2000/XP only: Make sure your keyboard is in lower case mode before starting the game.
* Beware of machete attacks when underwater. You will not see an animation but the attack will still do damage.
* On the map mp_monkey_bay_n there is a solitary P90 pickup without extra ammo boxes nearby. More P90 ammo is located next to the garage on the other side of the map.
* Do not attempt to reconnect to a server that you have just created. Creating a server and then attempting to reconnect to it will only display the message "connecting to 127.0.0.1...". This is the IP address of your local host server.
* Do not attempt to switch teams during PREWAR countdowns after a match has been won if player numbers are low.
* Non NV40 nVdia graphics cards display a water reflection bug when water details are set to 'Ultra High'. Lowering this setting in game will fix the problem
* It is not possible to ban players from LAN servers. Banning is only available to Internet servers.
Patch 1.3 change log
* Fixed a crash with the ForkLift when loading some levels.
* Fixed a bug that prevented levels from loading after saving in a previous level.
* Returned surround 5.1 sound option to the menu.
* Fixed a mounted weapon traverse problem.
* Fixed problems related to shaders1.pak and scripts1.pak not being removed on installation of the patch.
* Fixed a delay relating to tagging enemies in binocular mode.
* Normal Map Compression. Requirements: NVidia: Geforce FX Family or better, ATI: x800 card or better. This feature is disabled by default. To enable it, type r_TexNormalMapCompressed 1 in the console after loading a level. Enabling this feature during the game may take some time - the PC may appear to freeze. This variable will not be saved when restarting the game. Enabling normal map compression will have prolonged execution the first time running through a level due to initial compression phase occurring in real time through the level. Subsequent reloads of the same level will yield better performance and therefore we recommend that you run any benchmark twice and to take the second of the two runs for benchmarking purposes since this most closely represents the usual user experience.
* SM 3.0 and SM 2.0x are now enabled by default when graphics settings are set to ‘Very High’. To see performance increases you must have Direct X 9.0c installed.
* Improved tangent-space calculation to improve bumpmap quality.
* Anisotropic filtering disabled for some textures (light-maps, several lookup textures, fall-off maps) for increased performance.
* When attempting to connect to PunkBuster regulated servers, make sure you are not running with –DEVMODE enabled. Run the Farcry.exe itself (not a shortcut) if you are unsure.
* If you are kicked from a PunkBuster enabled server with the reason “No packet flow”, make sure the Windows XP internal firewall is disabled.
* Improved syncronization in multiplayer.
* Fixed bug in leaning with different player classes.
* Fixed an invisible wall exploit in mp_freighter.
* Please ensure you have your graphics cards latest drivers installed.
Patch 1.2 change log
* Made the run speed about 15% faster
* Made sprint last 30% longer
* Adjusted damage to vehicles
(vehicles now survive longer in multiplayer and behave consistently between weapon damage types) Bullet damage can be disabled by “g_vehicleBulletDamage” cvar: 0 = no bullet damage (default), 1 = bullet damage; this works only in MP.
MP vehicles can get the same damage from every kind of bullet (no distinction between sniper rifle and the deagle), this value is set by ‘dmgBulletMP’ variable inside ‘DamageParams’ table of the vehicle.
-buggy, humvee and gunboat can be destroyed with one rocket.
-bigtruck can be destroyed with three rockets.
-buggy and gunboat can be destroyed with 100 bullets (if g_vehicleBulletDamage = 1)
-humvee can be destroyed with 150 bullets (if g_vehicleBulletDamage = 1)
-bigtruck can be destroyed with 500 bullets (if g_vehicleBulletDamage = 1)
-vehicle damage code cleaned and made more consistent.
* If punkbuster is not installed the "punkbuster enable" togglebox will not be disabled
* Fixed a number of serious issues with headshot detection
* Ported a number of sensitive routines into non SDK sources
* Fixed some issues with ladder animations appearing odd to other players
* Added quicksave support for single player (still in process)
* Fixed bug where players name tag didn’t show up
* Fixed bug where console would accept letters as variable states
* Fixed a number of ladder related issues
* Fixed error with warning message in connection dialogue
* Fixed a significant number of bugs relating to quicksave (~100 bugs)
* Fixed a connection dialogue error
* Fixed an incorrectly localized HUD message
* Fixed bug with server shutdown dialogue error
* Addressed a number of issues with the server list UI
* Fixed bug causing cancel button to stop working
* Server create sessions are now saved
* Fixed a bug causing game freezes when player joins and player rotates
* Fixed a rendering issue with Radeon 9600 graphics cards
* Fixed Punkbuster crash when switching from punkbuster online server to hosting LAN server
* Fixed issue with punkbuster icon not showing up in the server listing
* Fixed random crash relating to punkbuster server listing info
* Fixed issue with punkbuster refusing connection to a server that is destroyed and then re-hosted
* Fixed a number of crash problems related to punkbuster server creation with non-dedicated servers
* Fixed issue with punkbuster enabled in multiple server profiles
* Disabled e_vegetation_min_size in multiplayer (used as cheat)
* Added optimizations for character effects including invulnerability shader
* Added optimizations for scoreboard performance. Scoreboard no longer updates fields that have not changed
* Fixed issue where radar would not be drawn correctly with certain game type changes
* Fixed framerate issue when player touched assault ammo pickups
* Fixed issue with password protected servers not removing password after restart
* Fixed issue with spectators not being able to hear ambient sounds
* Fixed message printout for multiplayer statistics (was only working with log_verbosity 1, not it works with 0 (default) as well)
* Fixed listplayer on the client (was only working on the server)
* Changed multiplayer scoreboard system for less bandwidth and easier extendibility
* Fixed bug in scoreboard that reported ping incorrectly by a factor of 2. Pings now appear correctly (half the old values). Note: ping is still the same, the output value was inaccurate)
* Fixed check in server/client version check (now you cannot connect to servers with old network code)
* Fixed bug in submitted Punkbuster ID causing random CD Key hash to be generated. Global ID unique to CD keys is now parsed correctly.
* Added MultiplayerUtils:OnChatMessage a script function which is called on the server for every chat message (to enable saving out chats)
* Made several changes to improve network packet scheduling
* Separated multiplayer and single player weapon code better functionality with mod developers and support for changes to MP balance without affecting single player.
* Made a number of changes to multiplayer weapon parameters, outlined below:
All weapons – Increase accuracy while standing still by 25%
Made the medic packs give 50% more health for the engineer class
Reduced rocket launcher clip to 1, no change to lethality.
Increased MP5 damage by 30% with full auto, 50% increase with semi-automatic
Adjusted AG36 damage to head and torso.
Reduced AG36 grenade radius.
Increased OICW accuracy by 30% when zoomed.
Reduced OICW grenade clip to 3 with max carry of 3 in the gun and 3 in reserve
Increased Pancor damage slightly
Reduced P90 damage by 10% and reduced max range by 25%
Increased lethality of mounted weapons.
* Improved detection code for player name tags, fixed issue causing name tags not to appear if crosshair was on arms and legs
* Fixed collision detection on the dedicated server with different arm position because of different weapons. Hit detection is now more accurate.
* The record console variable was marked as protected because it opened up some cheat possibilities
* Fixed a bug that sometimes caused players hit by a buggy not to credit the driver with a kill
* Fixed a number of issues with discrepancies between player cameras in 1st and 3rd person
* Fixed a crash relating to Rcon commands with dedicated server
* Fixed bug with FarCry MOD version number being incorrectly displayed as 1.0
* Reworked a number of installer issues
* Fixed a number of bugs relating to Linux dedicated server porting
* Fixed bug causing mercenary reinforcements to behave incorrectly
With regard to a problem with punkbuster updates during LAN play:
Note: If you experience connection issues during LAN play or your connection is refused by punkbuster, you can disable the connection checking with the following command (as the server).
This may be caused if punkbuster is trying to update itself with an incorrectly configured firewall or unavailable internet connection.
Q) I have sound issues...what should I do?
A) First of all make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound card.
The most satisfactory sound can be obtained by setting the main output volume fairly high in the Windows Volume Control and reducing the
Wave Out/DirectSound/Wave output volume to avoid saturation.
Creative SoundBlaster Live and Audigy, nForce2 and onboard AC97 users:
If some audio clicks or saturation problems appear, try to reduce the hardware acceleration of your soundcard (advanced properties).
Set the quality of the sampling rate conversion to “optimal”.
Try to disable EAX in the sound options game menu.
If audio clicks appear during the game, go in your configuration panel/sounds and multimedia/audio/advanced/performances) and set
the hardware acceleration to the second position (2 out of 4). Set the quality of the sampling rate conversion to "optimal".
Select the "Compatibility mode" in the sound options menu to help solve these driver issues.
Click Start, then Run. Type: dxdiag and then click “sound”. Move the hardware slider down one notch to Standard Acceleration, then close
DXDiag and try FC again. If this doesn't work, continue to lower the hardware acceleration until you can find a suitable setting.
If you continue to experience sound problems, please ensure you have the most recently updated and DirectX / DirectSound compatible sound
card drivers from the sound card manufacturer.
To verify that you have the latest DirectSound drivers available for your sound card, contact the sound card manufacturer.
If necessary, obtain and install the latest DirectSound drivers for your sound card. This is usually done by visiting the manufacturers
website, or contacting their technical support for help updating drivers. For more information on obtaining drivers, please search
the Ubi Soft Solution Center at http://www.ubisoft.com/support for "update drivers”.
Once these drivers have been downloaded and installed, reinstall the version of DirectX that is installed on your system.
Some short sound losses can occur with the sound cards based on the NForce2 sound chipset.
When sound volume is set to zero, sounds are not played anymore. This may help game performance on slower computers.
We strongly recommend installing the latest versions of the drivers for your video cards.
When installing new graphics card drivers, use the Windows Uninstall program to remove and previous drivers.
Far Cry officially requires 800x600 resolution or higher.
Q) The game crashes on startup or after I have reinstalled Directx, what can I do?
A) The 3D acceleration option is not available or not supported by your video adapter. The machine thinks that Direct3D functionality is not available; the Microsoft knowledge base article 191660 explains how to solve this issue (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=191660)
Please check that your computer meets the minimums requirements for the game.
If your computer meets all the minimum requirements the problem is with your drivers.
Please make sure that you have the latest drivers available for your graphics card and soundcard.
Q) What DirectX version and graphics drivers should I have installed?
* DirectX 9.0b, Retail version, must be installed
* NVIDIA based cards must have latest NVIDIA drivers (www.nvidia.com)
* ATI based cards must have latest Catalyst drivers (www.ati.com)
For more information on obtaining drivers, please search the Ubi Soft Solution Center at http://www.ubisoft.com/support for "update drivers”.
Q) My machine is overclocked and I have issues playing the game or the game doesn't start at all.
A) Overclocking the machine could cause a number of issue not only for FarCry but for other games and applications as well.
Ubisoft/Crytek are not responsible for machine crashes or slowdown caused by overclocking.
Contact the HW manufacturer of your machine for support.
Q) Looks like FC is running with 16 bits colours...what should I do?
A) Make sure to set your desktop to 32 bits colours
Q) When I enable AA or FAA, the game runs significantly slower...is it normal?
A) Yes it is normal. FAA uses a great deal of graphics power.
Other known issues:
-Some users with onboard sound may experience white noise “hiss” creep in after playing for a while. 
-The enable fog table emulation box must be checked in the NVIDIA control panel on some NVIDIA chipsets. If this option is unchecked, the quality of the fog in game may be negatively affected. 
-Some nForce onboard sound cards can cause gun and environment sound to be lost. 
-Some ladders do not behave correctly. The player may be able to move to the left or right of the ladder which may look odd in some cases when viewed in third person. 
-Some combinations of terrain textures may cause graphical glitches when viewed from a distance due to the texture LOD. 
-In some cases, users with Geforce 3 cards using low graphic settings may experience odd colorization of environments and characters. 
-r_waterrefraction does not work on geforce 5900 fx card when Dualscreen is on. when users want to use HIGH spec and have dualview enabled they should type in the console r_waterrefraction 0.
-There are issuses with dual monitor support (refractive shader).
-nVidia Quadro graphics cards are optimised for professional OpenGL applications, in our DX9 game environment Quadro cards may not be detected properly. Please set up manually.
-Alt-Tab mode is not 100% supported in Far Cry. There may be some instabilities caused when using it. This includes shooting at an enemy in Win ME and alt-tabbing causing flickering and graphical glitches. With WinXP this may cause stalls or even a crash when looking at the body.
-For NVIDIA Users of GeForce Cards up to GeForce 4 whose framerate feed choppy or slow, edit the file system.cfg and change the line r_Driver = “Direct3D9” to r_Driver = “OpenGL” to try the unsupported OpenGL Version. This may run faster in specific cases.
-On GeForce 3 cards ONLY, set the AntiAliasing settings to anything other than 'none' may crash the game, we recommend you to keep this to none. 
-In Windows98 and Window ME the game may be automatically minimised after it is installed and started the first few times. If this occurs simply maximise it again.
-If you load the game and let it run in the menu for a long period of time, it may lock up.
-Sometimes a checkpoint can get corrupted and crash the game. To work around this, reload an earlier checkpoint to continue playing
-On Windows Me, after installation, the Install button is still active.
-On Windows 98 and Windows Me visual bugs might appear on some systems if the graphics quality is set to "High" or above. Please contact your driver manufacturer to obtain updated versions of graphics drivers to support Far Cry in these higher settings.
-Due to code optimization to fix existing and implement new graphical features the following object will look very polygonal with this patch:
Unfortunately this issue can’t be addressed with this patch.
-If you create a profile with no name, it will never save any checkpoints. We recommend you do not create a profile with no name.
-Some unexpected behavior may happen when switching profiles during game play. We recommend you quit before selecting a new profile.
-Initial tests did not show any problems with Far Cry and Microsoft’s Windows XP service pack 2. However there might be some unknown issues left. If you encounter any problems after installing service pack 2 please contact the Microsoft customer center.
Video graphic cards based on the following chipset:
- ATI: drivers on http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/powered.html
- NVIDIA: drivers on http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=drivers
- We recommend closing all applications when playing the game.
- We recommend not installing the application in the Windows folder or in the root of the C: drive.
- Microsoft® DirectX® 9 included in the CD-ROM.
DirectX Latest Runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/downloads
More articles about Far Cry