"Reaching the two million member milestone in such a short time speaks volumes about the depth and vibrancy of the Xbox Live community," said Robbie Bach, senior vice president of the Home and Entertainment Division and chief Xbox officer at Microsoft. "This enormous growth is a true testament to the compelling content and engaging experiences enabled through Xbox Live today. The service is inspired by the creative power of the individual and fuelled by the passion of a worldwide community."
The two million Xbox Live member milestone is due largely to a growing library of videogame titles that deliver incredible online experiences, the availability of exciting downloadable content to extend gaming experiences, and a vibrant and active online community. More than 20 million pieces of content have been downloaded to date, proving that gamers today have access to and are experiencing more exciting downloadable content to enhance their gaming experience such as extra levels, maps and weapons than ever to enhance their gaming experience.
Additionally, there is plenty more for Xbox Live gamers to look forward to in the coming months through both current-generation titles and the launch of Microsoft's next-generation Xbox 360. With the launch of the console this Christmas, the Xbox Live portfolio is planning for more then 300 multiplayer Xbox and Xbox 360 games available worldwide for gamers to enjoy.
New Xbox 360 titles will include
- "Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft Game Studios)
- "Project Gotham Racing 3" (Microsoft Game Studios)
- "Madden NFL 06" (Electronic Arts)
- "Dead or Alive 4" (Tecmo)
- "Call of Duty 2" (Activision)
In the current generation, third party publishers continue to show strong support for Xbox Live with games such as "Tony Hawk's American Wasteland" (Activision), "Star Wars Battlefront II" (LucasArts) and "Battlefield 2: Modern Combat" (Electronic Arts).
Transferring user accounts to the next-generation console will be easy. As Xbox Live is a universal service between both platforms, gamers can move their Xbox Live memberships seamlessly from Xbox to Xbox 360, while still enjoying online games and entertainment on the current generation system.
With the launch of the Xbox 360, Xbox Live gamers can expect incredible new experiences in the next generation of the online games service, including:
- Multiple levels of service To fit the unique needs and interests of each Xbox Live gamer, the Xbox Live Gold membership offers all of the Xbox Live Silver features as well as multiplayer online gaming, tournaments and participation in original programs such as "Game with Fame" and other Prime Time activities. The Xbox Live Silver membership includes free basic features such as Gamer Profile, access to the Xbox Live Marketplace and voice chat and messaging.
- Gamercards. A quick summary of a player's Gamer Profile, this contains a player's Gamertag, Gamer Picture, Reputation, Gamerzone and personal motto.
- Gamerzone. Players can choose their style of social gaming and be seamlessly paired with others based on their preferences.
- An integrated message centre. Members can keep connected even when they're not online playing.
- Xbox Live Marketplace. This one-stop shop for all downloadable content include free content such as trailers and themes as well as full-featured premium content, such as racing cars and maps.