The Regiment utilises tactics and procedures pioneered by the CRW (Counter Revolutionary Warfare) arm of the S.A.S, and has been designed in close collaboration with ex-staff instructors. Starting with an in-game briefing by John MacAleese - a veteran of the Iranian Embassy Siege - players are dropped straight into each mission. The game play is then focused on action, as players use a simple yet effective ordering system to deploy their colleagues, and use specially selected weapons and hand-to-hand methods to take out the terrorist threats.
Training modes and multi-player team training modes allow the player to enjoy The Regiment as a one-player or team-player experience, while Kuju’s use of the Unreal Engine and its Karma Physics capabilities bring its real-life scenarios to life. Both games can also be played online, with the PlayStation 2 version boasting an option for voice-over IP support via a USB headset.
"The Regiment is an incredibly realistic interpretation of one of the world’s greatest armed units," commented Tony Bickley, Head of Product Development. "Its visually stunning levels, fantastic realism and tense missions combine to create a truly engrossing and nerve-wracking experience." The brutal reality of a siege situation or terrorist attack are faithfully recreated, thanks in no small part to the help of S.A.S veterans, who have helped create a memorable game.
- An intense, fast paced first person shooter based on real-life tactics and procedures of the CRW (Counter Revolutionary Warfare) wing of the British Special Air Service (S.A.S.)
- Designed in collaboration with former S.A.S. staff instructor Rhett Butler.
- In-game video briefings given by John MacAleese - S.A.S. veteran of the Iranian Embassy Siege
- Real-time ordering system: Take command of an S.A.S. assault squad and guide them through brutal close quarter battles! Your mission - to save the lives of the hostages!
- Action focused gameplay from insertion to extraction! No need for tedious mission planning, as in real-life once the S.A.S. get deployed - negotiations are over!
- High realism AI - realistic terrorist, hostage and squad behaviour.
- Single player campaigns based on a variety of historical and fictional scenarios - including a recreation of the Iranian Embassy Siege of 1980
- Train in the world famous S.A.S. 'Killing House'. Learn room clearance skills and perfect the dark art of double tapping!
- PC and PlayStation 2 multiplayer game modes
- Multiplayer team training - hone the skills of your multiplayer team before going online and challenging others
- Community based "The Regiment" web site featuring individual player and team rankings - compare yourself against the best of the best!
- PlayStation 2 voice-over IP support (requires USB headset)
- Powered by the Unreal Engine includes Karma Physics
The Regiment is scheduled for release in the UK on February 17, 2006.
More articles about The Regiment