Hard-core and casual gamers alike became obsessed with the original. Tetris DS builds on that emotional attachment by combining the original game with new types of game play that could only be possible on Nintendo DS.
Each of the six modes of play features a theme based on a classic Nintendo game, such as Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda or Metroid. The traditional Tetriminos (falling blocks) and line-clearing strategy remain the staples of the game, but the touch screen adds a new element of interactivity.
Some modes give players special Tetris puzzles to solve. Others feature head-to-head action between two players, or massive wireless battles between 10 DS users, even if only one player has a game card. Players also can log onto Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to compete in two- or four-player battles. Tetris DS even includes a point-based rating system based on players' battle results. Opponents can see one another's ratings, which indicate their skill levels.
This unique take on Tetris really shows off the touch-screen capability of Nintendo DS. Players use a stylus to drag and move Tetriminos in a giant stack to make them fall into horizontal lines. In early levels, they can tap Tetriminos to spin them just the way they need them. Players have as much time as they need to carefully plan their moves, so it plays very differently from the other frantic modes.
- Every gamer, whether competitive or casual, will find a way to reconnect with one of the most popular puzzle games in history.
- Nintendo's greatest characters team up with one of the most popular games of all time.
- Every mode in Tetris DS features a theme based on a famous Nintendo character.
- Up to 10 players can clash using DS Download Play to form a Tetris DS match of massive proportions, all with just one game card.
- Using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, up to four players can compete in wireless two- or four-player battles against friends or strangers, near or far.
More articles about Tetris DS