This is an unofficial patch for Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines by Troika Games. It's a cumulative patch containing all the previous patches and works best for english retail and Direct2Drive versions!
Applying this patch to a version in another language should work ok, but all ingame texts previously appearing in that language should be replaced by their english originals with the exception of the menus.
To install the patch extract this archive into the game folder while keeping the directory structure intact and backup all files that are overwritten if you want to remove it later. Alternatively reinstall.
This patch attempts to fix many bugs and improve other things but no guarantees are made, since not everything could be tested. It can be installed easily on top of the official 1.2 patch from Troika Games.
The more basic changes are listed at the top of the version history, then bug fixes and more. It is recommended to start a new game after patching to avoid odd behaviour, but updating between hubs may work.
Because of the restoration of the histories the patch comes with the original config.cfg, so change all the options to your liking again. If you get problems with the histories in the tutorial just skip it!
Tips and Tricks:
When using the console, be sure to activate it from the menu only.
To reinstall clean up registry and remove vtmb.ini from /windows.
On start crashings force refresh rate override or use -dxlevel 80.
If you experience stutter on dual core systems turn one core off.
Don't save or leave maps with disciplines active to avoid crashes.
To avoid crashes don't play sounds with the Windows Media Player.
When controls are sticky start the game in Win98 compability mode.
Taking long for history selection is prone to crash, don't do it.
If you can't read papers re-bind "use" away from the mousebuttons.
At high Obfuscate levels use attack to stealth kill without fail.
If a container auto-closes right-click the objects to choose them.
Enemy death may open doors and give items, which Trance does not.
Some feed victims stay in Trance so don't bite quest-related ones.
If you freeze during a cutscene type frenzyplayer in the console.
Game may crash in cutscenes if you are Obfuscated, so turn it off.
Have four empty inventory slots when taking Imalia's Tawni quest.
In Ming's temple push the bar from outside to avoid getting stuck.
Do not cheat using the histories, you'll not get far that way ;).
Stuff not fixed:
"Skip intro" and special fonts only work at resolutions > 800x600.
Game may hang on Beckett's "wait" cutscene, reload or use sewers.
Prof. Johansen's christian name is stated to be Ingvar and Anders.
Be aware that on dialogue your character will holster his weapon.
Enemies drop only one weapon on death, Romero's trunk spawns ammo.
"Skip intro" appears after a saved game but does not always work.
Occasionally mailboxes do not receive rewards or objects drop out.
Female and male Gangrel show different stances in the background.
During some cutscenes your character will look and move strangely.
Bodies may dissappear and dead people may re-appear in cutscenes.
There are invisible blocks at the Theatre, the Museum and Fu Labs.
Vandal will not give his freebie if you already got a blue blood.
Same objects in containers and inventory will not show up in both.
At Confession third person view zooms in when being on the cross.
Rats will not squeak while gently being drained by female players.
Gary's posters appear in all havens, Mitnick's emails dissappear.
After intro skipping you may find statists in the Theatre mission.
Rarely your appartment may become full of furniture, just reload.
- Unbarred Ming's temple door and hopefully fixed Beckett's wait bug.
- Made Copper leave for infusion and restored Pisha's meal cutscene.
- Removed hunter when Ash is gone and erected more tipped over props.
- Turned character screens music off and lowered Venus' cut to $125.
- Fixed ammo in Romero's trunk and reduced zombie spawning frequency.
- Restored Jeanette/Therese struggling scene and a few Heather lines.
- Made speech stop when Bruno enters and fixed some Giovanni guards.
- Corrected errors in dialogues of Christopher, Milligan and Jezebel.
- Deleted theatre statists and restored Larry's quest for Nosferatu.
- Changed some weapon infos and moved Giovanni Mansion diving boards.
- Darkened Beckett's glasses and fixed some others, thanks to MooCHa.
- Added speech to Jack's cheat lines and lessened Ming's bar weight.
- Granted humanity for persuading Therese and Jeanette to make peace.
- Lowered baseball bat, tire iron and new katana skill requirements.
- Erected several tipped over props and added a few inspection nodes.
- Corrected a few bugs in dialogues of Milligan, Julius and LaCroix.
- Moved the bum in the abandoned building and restored his fast exit.
- Fixed entering the pawnshop crash caused by sound, thanks to Bogj.
- Renamed new blade to 'Replica Katana' and made Trip sell crossbows.
- Tseng will offer the SPAS directly and the flaming crossbow later.
- Made Larry's quest independent of buying and fixed briefcase scene.
- Released trapped Fu Syndicate guard and added Julius killed lines.
- Changed flaming crossbow text and added some more inspection nodes.
- Corrected typos and lines for newscaster, Lily, Copper and Vandal.
- Removed another warehouse spawning and restored beachhouse weapons.
- Fixed superguards at Giovanni Mansion and the bonus Sweeper lines.
- Made all enemies drop their weapon when killed except the Brothers.
- Added missing inspection node to Bertram's CD and many more items.
- Unlocked doors to Boris for Venus quest and lowered Dema condition.
- Removed .38 got for skipping the tutorial and added the quest log.
- Swapped histories around again to alter those that made no changes.
- Lowered .38 ammo price and time when crossbow bolts are available.
- Added humanity loss for sending Copper and a wrong bloodpacks line.
- Moved misplaced Ra texture folder and corrected female wield model.
- Restored exploding King's Way runner and altered book loading tip.
- Fixed options when asking Trip for weapons and a Prince line error.
- Removed respawning warehouse thugs and missing beachhouse weapons.
- Made clinic guard not open doors twice and added a Nurse condition.
- Fixed Eerie Presence bonus and reactivated the downtown sewer map.
- Repaired possible Gallery crash on entry and resetable quest state.
IMPROVING GAME PERFORMANCE
Most performance problems reported to Activision Customer Support are due to computer systems not meeting the minimum system requirements or not having the latest video and sound card drivers installed.
If these are not the causes of any performance problems you are experiencing, we recommend that you try some or all of the following suggestions.
• Set your desktop to a resolution of 800x600, 32-bit True Color and play the game at that resolution.
• Shut down all background applications.
• Disable any anti-virus software you are running.
• Set the game’s Game Options to their minimum settings. In particular, disable Environmental Effects.
• This game requires a 1400MB swap file. If you are using Windows XP, 98, or ME, make sure that you have “Let Windows Manage My Virtual Memory” enabled, and if you are using Windows 2000, make sure that you have manually set your max swap file size to 1400MB. In addition, make that you actually have enough free space on your hard drive to facilitate the swap file (1400MB).
More articles about Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines