Pirates of the Burning Sea is a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game set in the Caribbean islands of the 18th Century. You play a bold sea captain, master of your own ship and crew, as you seek glory and adventure across the trackless deep.
A perfect compliment to the game’s blistering naval combat scenarios, Swashbuckling in Pirates of the Burning Sea is fast-paced, tactical and offers a variety of fighting styles to suit anyone's taste. Players can choose between three basic schools of fighting- the classic scoundrel's dirty tricks, the formal yet deadly art of fencing, or the wild-eyed, free-wheeling use of small swords and daggers.
Swashbuckling in Pirates of the Burning Sea isn't your typical hack-and-slash endeavor. Through the use of an innovative balance-based attack system, players gain advantage based on position and initiative. Avoiding the typical fire-and-forget MMORPG combat systems, swashbuckling in Pirates of the Burning Sea puts the control in the player's hands. Much like our celebrated ship combat system, swashbuckling provides opportunities for even the newest player to prevail in battle, allowing cunning and tactics to take a front seat to character level and experience.
- A game for serious gamers. Gorgeous graphics using the latest high-end hardware. Broadband connections required for smooth play. We're making this game for those who want the best experience possible.
- Make your own career. Your fortunes shift with the winds and your desires. Buy a naval commission and command a ship of the line. Turn traitor and work as a privateer for your former foes. Navigate the perils of war and weather as a merchant. You can do whatever your reputation allows - and your reputation is yours to create.
- Epic adventure on a human scale. You'll be on a server with no more than a few thousand players. It's a world big enough for constant adventure, but small enough that your reputation carries weight with the people you meet.
- Player-created content. We put the player community in the designer's seat. Using industry standard tools, you can create new textures and even 3-D models and submit them to the peer-reviewed web site for incorporation into the game. And you own what you create - if you design a new sword hilt or throne or sail design texture, you can make it freely available or charge for it within the game world. Earn in-game income from the sales of your designs! Or keep them to yourself and customize your own unique gear to the nth degree.
- An ever-expanding game. Thanks to Valve's Steam technology, your computer will download new game content as it becomes available. Regular updates will roll out with new features, including avatar play, the magic system, and property development. The initial game of military action, trading fleets, and bloodthirsty piracy will evolve into a rich and player-directed world.
Pirates of the Burning Sea is currently in closed beta and will release in full in June, 2007.
More articles about Pirates of the Burning Sea