As the only officially licensed first party videogame by Major League Baseball Properties (MLBP), Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM) and the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA), MLB’06: The Show is set to unveil new core features and platform specific advancements. Across both the PlayStation 2 and PSP platforms, the all-new Rivalry Mode allows players to set up and maintain multi-game rivalries, while tracking stats for the life of the rivalry. For baseball fans seeking to master the art of pitching and batting, the innovative King of the Diamond Mode brings players a classic playground duel where a pitcher and batter from opposing teams square off in a head-to-head mini game that showcases the intensity of the duel.
To enhance the authenticity of the game and presentation, MLB ’06: The Show combines authentic gameplay, cut scenes, animations, and a Progressive Broadcast, which adapts to current situations, providing an unrivaled broadcast simulation. Additionally, Rex Hudler joins Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell in a new Three-Man Booth for the most comprehensive, game-specific commentary heard in any baseball videogame.
“By presenting gamers with all the finer details and nuances from the diamond, such as personalized player rituals and batting stances, broken bats, wild pitches and check swings, MLB’06: The Show delivers a true-to-life experience,” said Scott Rohde, director, sports product development, Sony Computer Entertainment America. “With enhanced features and new gameplay modes, MLB’06: The Show provides baseball fans with an opportunity to truly feel what it’s like to play in the Bigs.”
MLB’06: The Show for PlayStation 2 reports to camp with the new Game Time Decisions feature, bringing more depth to Franchise and Season Modes by providing scenarios in which users will need to take full control of their team and decide which players to place in the line up at critical times. Additionally, the new 40-Man Roster feature offers the ability to take full control of a team’s roster and manage all 40 players for each and every game. For a complete package of unprecedented online options, MLB’06: The Show now offers head-to-head gameplay for both King of the Diamond and Rivalry Mode to go along with 32-team tournaments, live sports tickers, downloadable rosters, instant messaging and more. Additionally, the implementation of a new online news service provides users with MLB updates on news and events from around the league or their favorite team. Returning gameplay favorites for PlayStation 2 include, Release Point Pitching, the Pitching Confidence Meter, Guess Pitch, EyeToy™ functionality, and Career Mode with the all-new Career Spotlight feature that underscores accomplishments and showcases them in the limelight.
MLB’06: The Show for the PSP system suits up for the season with the all-new Career Mode for gamers to create a player and take them out to play anytime, anywhere, and a Season Mode that now offers multiple seasons. Users can choose their favorite team, play the regular season, advance to the playoffs, be crowned the World Series Champion and even create their own dynasty. With the new Historical Greats option, nostalgic fans of America’s Pastime players can go up against baseball legends. For gamers on the go, MLB’06: The Show offers multiplayer gameplay, either locally via Ad Hoc Mode or across the nation via Infrastructure Mode. Additionally, sports fanatics can utilize the new online news service to get the latest MLB news feeds online or save them to the Memory Stick Duo™ and review them offline at their convenience.
New Features For MLB ’06: The Show:
- All-New Rivalry Mode – For the ultimate in competitive nature, allows true baseball fans to set up and maintain multi-game rivalries between multiple gamers or versus the Artificial Intelligence (AI), and keeps track of the stats throughout the rivalry.
- All-New King of the Diamond – A classic playground duel from childhood where a pitcher and batter from opposing teams will square off head-to-head. This innovative mini-game showcases the challenging intensity of the batter versus pitcher duel, while an inning clock increases the pressure in this Over-The-Line style challenge.
- All-New Multi-Branch Fielding – Branch Point Technology goes to a new level as gamers you can now take full control of fielders and break out of any animation in the process. Change a fielding decision and branch out of any animation after the first branch point. With Branch Point Technology, MLB ’06:The Show provides unbelievably smooth, fluid transitions for seamless double plays and relays.
- All-New User Controlled Slides – Fans can now control base runners in attempts to advance and/or score.
- All-New 40-Man Roster – Provides the ability to take full control of a team’s roster and manage all 40 players for each and every game.
- All-New Game Time Decisions – Bringing more depth to Franchise and Season Modes, MLB ’06:The Show provides gamers with the scenarios in which they need to take full control of their team and decide who to place in the line up at critical times.
- All-New Online News Service – Lets sports fanatics stay on top of all the news around the league. Receive all the current happenings in sports today. Information will be updated a few times each hour with news, trades and events from 31 different feeds, each containing 25 unique items. Select general MLB headlines or updates from all 30 teams in the league.
- Enhanced Career Mode – The new Career Spotlight underscores all of the accomplishments and failures during a career and showcases them in the limelight. Gamers still need to call the shots, but now the ramifications of actions are documented.
- Enhanced Franchise Mode – Extending the experience of running a team, performance and player morale are tracked on virtually every level – salary, playing time, batting slot, team performance, etc.
- All-New 3-Man Booth & Progressive Commentary – Rex Hudler joins Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell for the most comprehensive commentary heard in any baseball videogame. MLB ’06:The Show sets the bar high with the all-new Progressive Commentary that changes as the user progresses throughout the game by adapting to current actions and situations.
Returning Features for MLB ’06: The Show:
- Release Point Pitching – Taking video game pitching to a whole new level, gamers must utilize a timing mechanism to learn and realize pitching pace and release point, which varies from pitcher to pitcher.
- Pitching Confidence Meter – The ultimate pitcher/batter interface returns. Additionally, Pitcher Confidence plays a role in a gamer’s ability to hit release spots in the all-new pitch meter, while frequency of mistakes will impact the confidence level of a gamer’s hurler, making it more difficult to paint the corners of the strike zone.
- Guess Pitch – Baseball fans can test their ability to master the ability to knock one out or hit the grounder to advance the runner by checking the pitch history and correctly guessing any of 5 pitches that the pitcher will throw next. If the correct pitch is selected, the power attribute is increased in attempts to leave the yard in a hurry.
- PlayMaker Fielding – The fielding interface brings the player attributes together with the user’s skill level. With the Fielding Zone Marker, the fielder’s fielding attribute rating will determine the size of the zone that surrounds the ball and it’s eventual landing location. With highly ranked fielders, the ball marker will be displayed sooner and smaller, making it easier to judge fly balls.
- Unassisted Fielding Control – Gamers can take advantage of more realistic barehanded flips and the ability to dive with the ball in the fielder’s bare hand for the putout.
- Unrivaled Player Creator / EyeToy™ Functionality – MLB ’06:The Show provides infinitely possible options for creating players including everything from gamers putting their face into the game with EyeToy™ functionality, to personal rituals, swings and even emotions.
- Unprecedented Online Options – Online Mode features head-to-head gameplay, 32-team tournaments, King of the Diamond, Rivalry Mode, live sports tickers, message boards, buddy lists, headset functionality, downloadable rosters, chat, and more.
- Personalized Animations – Authenticity: featuring personalized player animations for everything from walk-ups, rituals, stances and swings – even emotions.
- MLB Authenticity, Subtleties & Nuances – Authenticity: Features drag bunts, wild pitches, broken bats, check swings, off-line throws and much more.
- Unique Stadium Ambiance – Every MLB team features their specific stadium with coordinated crowds, team colors and audio that catering to each team and specific players.
- AAA / AA Minor Teams & Stadiums – MLB ’06:The Show features 60 teams and 5 stadiums from the Minors.
- Old-Time Players & Stadiums – Unlock and play with Silver Era and Golden Era players like Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, then play in old-time stadiums like Forbes and Polo Grounds.
Set for a Spring 2006 release, rating for MLB’06: The Show is “RP” for “Rating Pending.”