When villains run rampant, only one man can rescue a world in peril. Will you be able to master your super powers to save Metropolis?
Inspired by the upcoming Warner Bros. Pictures feature film and more than 60 years of DC Comics' lore, Superman Returns: The Videogame will create the ultimate open-world super hero experience.
As the Man of Steel, you'll hone your unworldly super powers such as Flight, X-Ray Vision, Heat Vision, Super Hearing, Super Strength, Super Speed, and Super Breath to fight villains that only Superman can defeat. Explore your super powers to discover new uses and combinations: use Heat Vision to melt a rogue car or as a focused laser-like beam to cut through thick metal; use Super Breath to move heavy objects or freeze villains into solid ice. You can also combine powers and interact with your environment; for instance, freeze water spouting from a broken fire hydrant into a giant icicle with your Super Breath and use your Super Strength to hurl it at an enemy.
Get ready to take flight, as Superman Returns' revolutionary new mechanics allow you to take full command of your aerial maneuvers. You're not limited to flying over 800 mph (faster than a speeding bullet) — you can also corral your enemies, perform stunning in-air acrobatics, instigate Super Speed missile-like attacks, and much more.
EA provided us with this target render from their development team. For those not familiar with the term, this image was created models used in the game. The developers place those models into a 3D program, add lighting and shadows, then render out an image to use as a goal. The game's programmers use this goal image as a visual reference to build towards as they game progresses - basically, this is what they want the game to look like.
In this particular image, Superman battles a mysterious creature that's broken out of Cadmus Labs. Cadmus is best known to comic book fans as the institution where the Superboy clone came from, as well as a whole host of other genetic experiments - some of which turned out better than others.
In Superman Returns: The Videogame, you explore and protect the truly living city of Metropolis — one that is not only expansive (with 80 sq miles and over 10,000 buildings), but also changes dynamically with you as you affect gameplay. Citizens will run away in terror from newly-erupting danger and also exit their cars to cheer and snap photos as you fly overhead to save them.
Superman may be invincible, but Metropolis is not. Player choice matters, as Metropolis' destruction will affect your ability to progress. You must face the internal conflict facing Superman at every turn: will you pause your pursuit of super villains to stop a massive tornado sweeping through the city and save its civilians? Every decision made is critical to Metropolis' existence and can affect the collateral damage meter, which ultimately keeps the player in the game.
This is not just another movie-based game. This is the Superman game you've always wanted to play. Utilizing more than 60 years of rich history, Superman Returns: The Videogame is the ultimate Superman experience for players.
- True to the fiction in every respect, this is the game based on the Superman universe that fans have been anticipating for decades.
- From excited citizens stopping to take your picture as you fly overhead to the traffic on the streets, every detail of this vibrant city has a mind of its own. These 80 square miles are brought to life for the first time in a videogame.
- Go anywhere and do anything in Metropolis as Superman. Non-linear gameplay allows you to explore and play the game exactly how you want to at your own pace. Where and how you fly – to the top of skyscrapers, dodging elevated trains – is completely up to you, since gameplay is designed as a true open world experience.
- With notorious villains like Metallo and Parasite, and colossal challenges only Superman can overcome, you must navigate the Man of Steel to monitor and protect Metropolis from destruction.
- Three distinct types of gameplay — Flying, Rescue, and Combat — will keep the action constant and the challenges relentless. Play both film-inspired missions as well as original content created exclusively for the videogame.
- Graphics, sound, and gameplay have been taken to the next level to create a Metropolis like you've never seen it, with three dimensional sound, a complete orchestra soundtrack, and Oscar-wining sound designer.
More articles about Superman Returns: The Videogame