1848 is turn based computer strategy game for the PC. The game set during the violent era of the Hungarian Independence War of 1848-49. 1848 was a year of revolutions. Most of the uprisings were crushed quickly, but Hungary was an exception. In the spring of 1849 the Hungarian army seized victory from the Austrians and liberated the entire nation but victory was short and sweet ~V
in the summer the Tsar of Russia intervened with 200,000 troops. In history, this force could not be stopped. Can you change history?
1848 is a turn based operational strategy game for the PC. The game plays out on a large hexagonal map. You are responsible for all your forces and must decide what do with each of them. Attack, retreat, recon, defend, fortify, siege an enemy fort or build a new army ~V the choice is up to you.
The game was sponsored by the Hungarian Ministry of Education and the Hungarian version was released for the anniversary of 1848 in March 2005. It was a huge success in Hungary: in a country of 10 million people, the game had more then 100,000 downloads. The English version of 1848 will also be released FOR FREE as a full version download in Q2/2006.
- Full Game is FREE TO THE PUBLIC
- Turn based strategy 1 turn = 1 week
- The game takes place in Central Europe in the Carpathian basin, within the borders of the Austrian Empire
- Large resolution (4000x2600 pixel) map, based on contemporary maps of the region
- 14 different unit types including infantry, militia, cuirassier, hussar, Cossacks, siege artillery and more
- 3 nations: Hungary, Austria and Russia
- 100 generals, many with authentic historical portraits
- Authentic period music
- Dynamic weather system
- Easy-to-use intuitive interface
- Multiplayer support via Play By Email, LAN (TCP/IP), and Hotseat
For more information about the game, please visit: http://www.battlefront.com/products/1848/index.html
More articles about 1848